When History Collides Topolinski meets grandson of former President Cleveland

By Jessica Fontenot

At the celebration of Queen Liliuokalani’s 174th birthday on Sept. 2 at Iolani Palace, Social Studies teacher John Topolinski met with George Cleveland, grandson of former President Grover Cleveland. George Cleveland’s grandfather, along with Topolinski’s great-grandfather and grandfather had played important roles in the fight against the annexation of Hawaii.

“It was just the highlight of my life,” said Topolinski,  “(It) brought back history and it brought back the memory of my great-grandfather.”

Those that attended the event were of the four Hawaiian Royal Societies. This included the Royal Order of Kamehameha I and its sister group, Na Wahine Hui O Kamehameha I, the Ahahui Kaahumanu, the Hale O Na Alii of Hawaii and the Daughters and Sons of Hawaiian Warriors. “It’s a privilege (to attend) because … (Topolinski’s) part of the Royal Board of Kamehameha and you have to be a high ranking alii,” said Social Studies teacher Ken Watanabe.

After being introduced to George Cleveland at the event, Topolinski was able to talk with him about the history of their grandfathers. “The fact that those two men were able to meet … is a little bit like history coming full circle,” said Social Studies teacher Amy Perruso, “I think the people who grew up here … were probably impressed … that the past still lives and is being commemorated (through this event).”

Topolinski’s grandfather was the Minister of Foreign Affairs under King Kalakaua, sent to appeal to President Harrison to give Hawaii its own monarchy. Although Topolinski’s grandfather failed to propose his plan of the Hawaiian islands’ independence to President Harrison, President Cleveland withdrew the annexation of Hawaii in 1897. “How fitting that (George Cleveland) should come,” said Topolinski, continuing, “He said he had no idea of his grandfather’s greatness and what he stood up for.”

Topolinski hopes to meet Cleveland again so they can share more stories about the impacts their grandfathers have made on Hawaii.