Homecoming 2012

Homecoming 2012
By Risa Askerooth

As the Sept. 21 homecoming game against Kapolei High School approaches, football fans and coaches alike anticipate the outcome of the game. Being that this is the third year in a row play­ing Kapolei, the Trojans are determined to take home a victory.

“We expect to win, of course. Have the kids come out and play with great effort and ener­gy and execute our game plan,” said Head Coach Roderick York.

Although Kapolei’s coaches and staff have outfitted their team with the means to win in the past, MHS will make every possible effort to suc­ceed. “I think that Kapolei is always a talented team,” said Principal Dr. John Brummel. “They’re usually good … either way it’s going to be a tough game,” added Offensive Lineman Senior Blake Yoneda.

Utilizing the motto, “Failing to prepare is preparing to fail,” the team’s coaches have laid out a strategy for the game to hopefully ensure success. “Our game plan on offense is to spread the field and throw the ball and then hit them with the inside run. On defense is to go three and out, have them punt; give our offense more opportunities to score,” stated York.

In order to further prepare themselves for the game, the team will discuss means of correction for past errors. “We tell our kids that everyday we’ve got to improve, no matter if we win or lose,” said York, continuing, “We’ve come a long way but we’ve still got a long way to go.”

The Trojan’s optimum effort at the game will rally support from fans to boost the team’s morale as they clash against Kapolei. “I think that homecoming can come alive for the student body so that they can get behind the team and encourage them to, you know, do their best,” said Brummel.

The expectation of the homecoming game has also ignited enthusiasm in students who strive to leave a Trojan legacy. “It’s important, it’s for our school, it’s for us,” said Yoneda, continuing, “We just got to win.”

The Trojans hope to dominate the field, which will propel them to success and give them a stronger sense of accomplishment as a team.