Frifeldt shatters national group swimming record

By Risa Askerooth

Kamehameha Swim Club member Junior Kevin Frifeldt swam to victory with his team at the Hawaii State Long Course Championships on July 18 at the Central Oahu Regional Park. Breaking the National Boys’ Age Group record with a 1:36.37, Frifeldt’s team has earned the title of the fastest 200 meter freestyle relay swimmers in the nation.

“It didn’t hit me until like a few days later, but I was pretty excited for that entire week pretty much and I didn’t even know what to do. I was just kind of jumping around, really happy,” explained Frifeldt.

As the leadoff for the relay, Frifeldt laid the foundation for the end result. “It was a group effort but … to be a part of that was really fun,” he said.

Frifeldt prepared for the competition through his practices, which ran six days a week for over two hours. “They do water training and training on land and strength training … It was the culmination of … a long year,” stated Co-Head Coach John Flanagan.

Frifeldt’s athletic ability has improved as a result of his training. “He’s definitely gotten much, much faster and he’s also matured mentally as well. It’s pretty cool to be able to swim on a team with somebody like that,” said Junior Ryan Stack.

Frifeldt’s long-term commitment to swimming and the constant support he receives from his friends and family have allowed him to improve his skills. “You’re never the best at it,” he said, “You can never stop improving.”

Frifeldt’s mental outlook also helped him increase his performance. “I think the hardest thing is to think about only what you’re doing. I have a hard time with that … I didn’t worry about anyone else; I was just gonna try and swim my own race, so it worked,” said Frifeldt.

Despite the demanding task, the combined effort of the team allowed them to push their limits at the championships. “It was a bit of a stretch for them … They all stepped up and did an incredible job and they killed it,” Flanagan said.

Breaking the national record in the competition has supplied Frifeldt with confidence that will support his swimming performance over the next few years.