HOSA opens doors for Trojan alumni internships

By Timothy Leoncio

The Health Occupations Students of America (HOSA) have brought up the next generation of workers in the medical field by helping MHS graduates obtain summer internships sponsored by Hawaii Pacific Health. Out of the 64 paid internship positions, MHS alumni took nine.

“The internships are learned by those students that obviously have a great resume, and it really helps that being involved in HOSA competitions gives them the drive and confidence to excel,” said Candace Chun, the students’ former Health teacher and HOSA adviser.

By preparing the students for internship, the HOSA program provided the students with a leading edge. “I think (HOSA) gave me a bit of an advantage, working closely with healthcare and all,” said Alumna Jae Yun Lee, HOSA state treasurer and intern at Pali Momi Medical Center.

While the HOSA program leads the students to the actual interning, the hands-on experience prepares them for a career in the medical field. “The internship has definitely prepared me for a future career,” said Alumna Brianna Daraciang, Hawaii HOSA state president and intern at Hawaii Pacific Health, continuing, “It has taught me basic administrative and clerical skills, which are essential to almost any (medical) job.”

The internship program has also helped the learning to come full circle—the students now act as teachers. “Many of those that intern are helping all of my students to learn,” said Chun, continuing, “They return to MHS and have spoken to several classes on their experiences, what they can get out of the program and how they can better prepare themselves for college.”

The HOSA program continues to challenge students and help them use internship as a head start to a future career of their choosing.