On the road back: Last season’s champs hope to tackle their way to victory

By Amanda Thomas

The Varsity Football team had a record breaking season last year; securing their first Oahu Interscholastic Association (OIA) Division Red title.  In this upcoming season they hope to maintain and exceed last year’s high standards.

“To win the championship, I mean that’s, that’s the ultimate goal,” said Head Coach Roderick York.  He and his coaching staff work diligently to help prepare the team for every game.  “We work hard and doing the little things that will make big differences in the game,” he said.  York and his staff implement their team philosophy into everything to help them achieve their ultimate goal.

“Our coach always tells us to win the right way, basically means that the foundation of the team is what’s going to win,” explained Senior Wide Receiver DeShawn Benson.  Their team philosophy helps Benson as well as his fellow teammates to understand the importance of commitment and maintaining a good work ethic not just in games but also in practices and training sessions, where a lot of the work was done.

“I really do believe we put in enough work to be just as good as we were last year,” explained Senior Linebacker Jonathan Makaiau of the team’s defense.  “As soon as we come together we should be just as good if not better (than last year),” Benson added of the team’s offense.

Leading into this season, the team had a lot of preparation which included many summer training sessions involving camps and small-sided scrimmages.  “(We) had a lot of off season (summer) training, hitting the weight room, lifting and working on timing our routes,” said Junior Quarterback Jarin Morikawa.  These summer training sessions and camps also helped the team’s bond in becoming closer and helping everyone see the ultimate goal of winning the state championship.

“We got the formula improved from last year it’s just working with different players now, different starters and different contributors,” stated York.  Since they are a basic fundamental team they run simple plays at practice to gain the repetition needed to strive for perfection throughout their games this season.

“I just want to go out there, make our fans the happiest after each game, I want our team to grow together and mature in the sport and for myself just win; (I) give the team everything I got so we can win,” said Makaiau.

The team is looking forward to see what this season’s opportunities bring, taking the competition week to week, striving to make it to the state championship along with a repeat of the OIA Red Division title.