Students to experience ‘Dancing in the Snowglobe’ themed Winterball

By Jenny Park

After much planning and thought from the committee, Winterball will take place on Friday, Dec. 15 at the Pacific Beach Hotel. This year’s theme is “Dancing in a Snowglobe,” a theme that the committee agreed would be different from other years.

“I hope it’s even better than the years before … Over the past few years we’ve had pretty good Winterballs, but I hope this one is a little bit more unique since our theme is a little bit more unique,” said Jeni Nishimura, Winterball committee adviser.

The theme was created by Committee Chairperson Senior Alyssa Vallesteros. She was inspired by her own interest in snow globes and thought it would work well for this event. “We came up with the theme because we wanted something a little different than the usual standard themes like ‘On a Snowy Night’ and I always liked the idea of snow globes and it deals with Christmas, so it worked out even more,” she explained, “The theme will be portrayed through the mini snow globes we’ll be having on each dinner table.”

In addition to a snow globe theme, the event will include entertainment and a few other possible activities. “For entertainment we’ll be having a DJ like usual, and this year were aiming towards a photo booth or either Balloon Monsoon because the two have always been popular with students. Attendees should be expecting a good time with friends and fellow classmates as well as good food and entertainment and just an overall fun experience,” explained Vallesteros.

Winterball benefits the school by bringing students of all grades together and building a stronger sense of community. It also provides an opportunity for students to put school work aside and have some fun. Vallesteros said, “Winterball is an event where the whole school can join together as one and celebrate the holidays together.” Sophomore Alyssa Fukumae agreed, saying, “It is the one night where we can have fun somewhere other than Mililani. I think it’s important because after exams, we’ll all be ready to have fun and Winterball should do just that.”

With the date fast approaching, approximately 430 students and 40 faculty members are expected to attend this event. Doors will open at 6 p.m. and the dance will last until 10:30 p.m.