Living life, playing the game Cabanas leads JV team to OIA Championship

By Jessica Fontenot

With the introduction of a new coach and a variety of new players, the JV softball team has grown together by learning about the game and life. The players’ and the coaches’ love of softball showed throughout the season as well as at the OIA championship game on Oct. 15 against Pearl City High School where they prevailed with a score of 6 to 5.

“The softball (season) was better than I could have I imagined,” said Assistant Coach Ciera Senas. To make the season successful and grow into the team they are now, players had to learn how to work together and get to know one another as they either learned or relearned how to play softball. “The coach … mainly taught about responsibility … about preparation and how … coming to practice … (relates) to coming to work prepared,” said Senas.

But even with the positive attitude found in season, the team faced some disadvantages at the start of the championship game. “We weren’t hitting as well as we thought we were,” said Sophomore Karly Macadangdang, whose position was a third base, “(and) that means … since we’re emotional players … if something bad happens (then) we all go down, we all shut down.”

This affected the team as they battled against Pearl City for both hits and runs. “We were all scared … every time the Pearl City pitcher would pitch,” said Macadangdang, “We would hope that … we would hit extra, like one more, and (then) the Pearl City would (hit after us).”

However, the team prevailed from the sixth inning, ending with full bases. “The main thing that I remember is that the last bunt that I had,” said Sophomore Lenya Tamaye, right fielder, whose hit gave them the final score that won them the game. “I was kind of in disbelief because I didn’t think that I’d be able to do it,” said Tamaye.

Despite the difficulties of forming a stable team in the beginning, bonds still formed in the group, even with the differences of experience between them. These bonds have also helped the team to make up for the players that had quit when the season started. “Maybe we were blessed with a small team to show everyone that even though we’re small we can still make it through games, and we did,” said Macadangdang.

Even though the main focus of the season was to teach the game, Cabanas also incorporated his opinion on how to live life. “He’s more about just having fun,” said Tamaye, “Like the game is something that you play because you want to play and it’s your passion.”

This was displayed with not only the player’s enthusiasm at each game, but with the parents and coaches as well. “The coaches and parents … they really stuck by us and cheered for us,” said Tamaye, “They kind of … (made) sure that we didn’t get down on ourselves.” The parents attended and cheered on the players at softballs games where there were only two loses and 10 wins.

The outcome of the game was a testament to the team’s ability to overcome challenges. The win added even more to MHS’ collection of OIA championship banners in the gymnasium.