Going for the gold: Kawana and White place in Wendy’s High School Heisman

By Cyanne Ito
Seniors Jessica Kawana (above) and Dionte White (below) found out about the Wendy's High School Heisman Program on Edline.

Everyone knows that Wendy’s offers burgers, fries and shakes, but not many know that they also offer a sports scholarship through the Wendy’s High School Heisman Program. The scholarship does take the grades and leadership skills of students into consideration, but the factor that determines a student’s eligibility is whether they play a sport or not. This year from MHS, Seniors Jessica Kawana and Dionte White have been selected as school winners for the program, with Kawana also advancing as a state finalist.

“I just applied for it, I didn’t even think I was going to win for the school. Like when I looked (at the winners list) I was like, ‘Oh my goodness that’s my name,'” said White, who is a member of the track team, qualifying him for the program.

In order to qualify for Wendy’s High School Heisman Program, students must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better, list all their credits, be in a school-sponsored sport, have a recommendation from a teacher, and have a leadership position in school or the community. “You don’t have to be the best in your sport but you need to be committed to your sport and you need to show up to practice every time and do your best. You don’t have to be the fastest or the strongest; it’s not really about natural talent, it’s about dedication,” explained Kawana.

Wendy’s High School Heisman Program is a nationwide scholarship and is meant to benefit scholar athletes. “It looks like there’s … nearly 48,000 applicants nationwide … it is competitive,” said College and Career Counselor Denise Yamamoto.

At the school level, two applicants were selected as winners. At the state finals level, 20 applicants were selected from each state and two of the 20 won at the state level. From there 12 national finalists were chosen, and 2 national winners were chosen. At all levels there were equal amounts of male and female winners and finalists.

As a school winner, Kawana joined her older sisters who in 2007 and 2008 won at the school level for the program. “(Our family has) this joke that it’s a ‘hat trick,'” said Kawana, “A hat trick is in sports where you win three of the same thing, so we’re saying that it’s a hat trick for our family because all three of us won for the school winners, but then I was the only one (between my sisters and me) who won (as a) state finalist, so I was very honored.” This year is Kawana’s fourth year in cross country and track.

Along with the honor of being recognized, White received a Heisman patch and certificate, while Kawana was additionally awarded a $25 Wendy’s gift card. National winners had $10,000 donated to their school in their name.