Rainbow Invitational: Chance for Trojan Marching Band to improve

By April-Joy McCann

Members of the marching band participate on the UH field which has a much different feeling from MHS' field.
The color guard show off their flags as they dance to the third movement called "Imagine."
The Trojan marching band has been preparing their show entitled “Revolution” all season. The Trojans preformed at the 32 annual Meadow Gold Rainbow Invitational Marching Band Festival hosted by the University of Hawaii (UH) Marching Band at the Aloha Stadium on Nov. 10. The performance was used as an opportunity to improve before the last performance of the season.

“I’m really impressed because every performance they strive to improve and get better. That was definitely apparent tonight that they had made a step forward from (“Festival of Bands”),” announced MHS Band Director Derek Ka apana.

This festival consisted of 16 different high school bands from both public and private schools in Hawaii. The showcase ended with the UH marching band performing for the students.

Since the performance was a festival and not a competition, all the bands received awards for participation. In addition, each group received critiques and feedback to further improve their performances before the actual competition from the judges. “This is a good dress rehearsal because there’s really no pressure for them to compete or to win first or second place,” said Ka apana. Senior french horn player Mycah Rosario agreed, saying, “It’s kind of like preparing us for the worst because everyone knows what it feels like to not do our best and they would (take that) and counter it … go more towards an energetic (performance).”

The marching band recognized that improvements had to be made, and used the critique to grow as a group. “I don’t think the energy level was completely there (tonight) but I think that’s a good thing because when we look back we can say, yeah we didn’t do as good as we should have (and) then it’ll give us more motivation for the (Kapolei Marching Festival),” explained Drum Major Kailee Goya.

They learned that through their commitment, they can perform together as one group. “When we (can) do that, it produces something beautiful which is teamwork and a really awesome show,” said Rosario.

The marching band continued their momentum in the Kapolei Competition on Nov. 13, placing first in AAA division.