MHS students star in DITR’s ‘Nutcracker the Musical”

By Elise Vasper
(Photo courtesy of Director Kristi Kashimoto-Rowbottom) The young cast members that were a part of DITR’s “The Nutcracker” hope that their involvement will impact their future endeavors in acting.

Although often performed as a ballet, Diamond in the Rough (DITR) productions performed “Nutcracker the Musical” from Dec. 18 to 20. Several MHS students participated in the production, including Junior Christan Howe, who played in the Rat/Guard Ensemble, and Senior Alanna Poelzing, who portrayed Princess Pierlapont.

“The show was fantastic. We had a full weekend of shows, and all shows went beautifully,” said MHS alumnae Director Kristi Kashimoto-Rowbottom.

DITR rehearsed the show every weekend, with the exception of tech week, when they rehearsed onstage at Paliku Theatre at Windward Community College. Poelzing said, “(The show) went pretty well actually, for only rehearsing for about only three months. It came together pretty well and we didn’t get to go into the theater and rehearse until three nights before opening. So we go into the dance studio first and then go into the theatre later.”

DITR’s version of “The Nutcracker” provides a new, more fun take on a piece that is traditionally performed as a ballet. “‘The Nutcracker’ is a holiday classic that is extremely familiar to audiences, and once I heard there was a musical theatre version, I was sold,” said Kashimoto-Rowbottom. Another unique aspect DITR offers is it incorporates guest stars, directors, and choreographers into their productions. This opens a new door for students to experience theater at a professional level.

In this production of “The Nutcracker,” DITR welcomed Keith Broughton, a guest star from New York City, who played Godfather Drosselmeier. “I can’t think of a better gift than having someone with professional New York City performance experience work with our local amateur performers. They get to learn and work alongside the best the business has to offer!  Its very rewarding!” said Kashimoto. Howe added, “Working with Keith showed me the level of what you need to make it into shows in New York. It also gave me the chance to learn from him and that helped me tremendously.”

The cast was able to spend the holidays together over the three months they prepared for the show. They also shared dressing rooms with 10 other cast members, which drove them to become closer, as well as more organized. “We did secret Santa because it was before Christmas so we sat in a circle and we got together as a big family that we are we exchanged gifts and what not and it was really cute,” said Poelzing. Howe said, “When you’re in a show you may barely know your cast members at first but you become like a family. There’s a saying: ‘’”A cast is like family, you don’t get to choose who they are but you end up loving them anyway.’’” And it’s very true. DITR people became like my second family.”

“Once Upon a Disney Time,” a junior performance by DITR, coincided with “The Nutcracker,” as it premiered on Dec. 20. “This was a junior show. The show featured an enormous amount of Disney classic songs and scenes, and if you are a Disney fan, it’s like heaven,” said Kashimoto-Rowbottom.

DITR productions’ upcoming spring performances will include “Junie B. Jones,” which will tour at several elementary schools, and “Into the Woods Jr.”