Uncommon uses for common household items

By Caitlin Kelly and Jacquelyn Perreira

Looking around our houses, we see everything as is, so we often overlook commonly used household items that have ingenious uses. So the next time you’re searching for a way to organize your desk or decorate for a party, keep in mind that the solutions don’t cost more than a few bucks if they’re not already within your reach. Here are six uses to start you off, from Real Simple’s “799 New Uses for Old Things: an Encyclopedia of Innovative Ideas for Everyday Items.”

Slinky

Chances are, the Slinky that you spent hours watching step down the stairs as a child doesn’t get much use nowadays. Dig that beloved toy out from your closet and use it to reduce the pile of pens and pencils that have accumulated on your desk now that the school year is in full swing. Just connect the two ends to each other to form a circular shape and use it as a stand for your writing utensils.

Plastic Cups

Whether you’re looking for cheap party decorations or a way to spice up your room that’s been decorated the same way since you were 5, clear plastic cups can do the trick; use them to create lanterns for any occasion. Cut X-shaped slits on the bottom of the cups, and slip the bulbs from strings of Christmas tree lights through the openings. Hang them out on a deck as lighting for an outdoor party or in a doorway for a twist to a boring room.

Watch

Taking a dip in the ocean is a popular past time in Hawaii. However, what are you supposed to do when you’ve just arrived at Waimea Bay and you realize that you’ve forgotten to take off your favorite earrings? Using a wristwatch to keep track of them is a simple alternative to losing them in the deep blue sea or in the depths of your cluttered bag. Take the watch and poke the earrings through the holes on the bands. Then attach the backings, and you can rest assured that your jewelry will be safe.

Ice cream cones

When we think of ice cream cones, we think of, well … ice cream. But it’s time to think outside of the freezer and look the opposite way: to our ovens. Ice cream cones can make great unique cake holders. All you do is fill 24 flat-bottom cones two-thirds full with cake batter and stand them up in baking pans with 12 cones in each pan. Then bake the pans separately at 325 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes. You can decorate the cones and cake however you want and use them for things like parties or friend’s birthdays.

Nail polish

Appearing as if mold is growing on your fingers after wearing rings is unflattering and seems unsanitary. To prevent this, apply a thin layer of clear nail polish onto your jewelry as a way to preserve the metals or plastic and keep yourself looking clean.

Hair dryer

Every one of us have been in the situation where we’ve tried to nicely peel a sticker off of something only to end up with sticker residue that we have to try and scrape off with our nails, then failing at that too. Next time, try using your hair dryer to heat the sticker, which will heat the sticky stuff and make it easier to peel off.