Maya Hirano: Goodbye

Maya Hirano, Copy Editor

If I’m being totally honest, I didn’t enter high school with high expectations. While many of my peers may have visualized prom, graduation and other social events, I just saw high school as another challenge; an obstacle of some kind that I had to overcome. While it did end up meeting my expectation of being excruciatingly testing at times, it also graced me with many gifts that I never anticipated to receive. 

The biggest lessons that high school had taught me didn’t come from the curriculum or the worksheets. It came from the amazing people that I had met along the way — peers, teachers and friends all taught me something different in their own special ways. Being able to form relationships with unique people from various backgrounds is truly a privilege, and it has given me more perspective on life and its constant elements of surprise. I am thankful for each and every person I encountered throughout my high school career, as they have each impacted my life in some way.

Working with Mililani Times is something that I will miss dearly. Starting out as a reporter in my Junior year, I personally think that I wasn’t a very good journalist — I often made mistakes, and as a generally introverted person I struggled to talk to my interviewees without being uncomfortable. However, as time passed I grew into this role and found it interesting to talk to strangers, each with their own fascinating stories to tell. My personality changed and grew; I find myself more outgoing now, and I have an easier time meeting new people and making connections with the world around me. I am proud to say that I was copy editor for Mililani Times, and I hope that future generations of staffers continue to work hard in educating and spreading positivity in the Mililani community. I want to say thank you to this class for pushing me outside of my comfort zone, and for allowing me an opportunity to be a part of something great. As for my talented staff and adviser Mr. Sato, I can’t find the right words to express how grateful I am to you all. I didn’t get to say proper goodbyes to everyone due to the situation, but know that I wish the best for each and every one of you. L-205 will hold a special place in my heart, and I’ll always cherish the memories and friendships that formed there. 

Lastly, I’d like to thank Mililani High School and all of the staff members for everything that they provide for their students. From the sports, clubs and extracurriculars to counselling and teaching, the outstanding staff are the ones who keep MHS alive. Thank you for everything. Maya Hirano out!