Daily Journal: Chloe Kitsu; 4/12-4/18

Chloe Kitsu, Editor In Chief

Sunday – April 12, 2020

It’s been over a month in this stay-at-home order, and I’ve recently taken up baking and cooking. I never really had a huge interest in baking and cooking, to be honest I’ve always been scared to. However, I feel like it’s a good time to experiment and try new things. Today, I baked apple pie hot pockets and it was a nice escape from what’s been going on in the world. A great recipe app is Tasty, they have a lot of easy recipes that show you step-by-step how to make each dish. Today after baking I caught myself staying on the app for a good hour looking at what I want to make next. 

Every day in my house the news is always on — we watch Cuomo Primetime every night. I honestly love Governor Andrew Cuomo and his brother Chris Cuomo. Through his show I learned a lot about how serious the coronavirus actually is. Chris Cuomo was diagnosed with Covid-19 a few weeks ago and he shares what it’s like, that “the monster comes at night.” After hearing his first hand experiences, it really put into perspective how serious this virus actually is and that staying home and not going out is the only way to help flatten the curve. 

Days fly by like hours now — I can’t believe it’s been over a month since I’ve last been in school. Weekdays just feel like weekends, I can feel myself starting to get lazy. Luckily, through these journals and my AP classes, I’m able to still keep my mind in shape. I think it’s really important for students to have a routine and to stick to it. Even though we have nowhere to go, getting up early and getting dressed helps me to start my day and be productive. 

Tuesday – April 14, 2020

Today I worked on some of the enrichment work my teachers have been assigning and I’ve been prepping for my AP tests coming up in May. Sometimes it’s hard to find the motivation to actually get up off the couch and get to work, but for me I like to watch “study with me” videos to help me get in the mood to work. I don’t know why it makes me get motivated, but I know that I like to watch other people do homework. 

In the afternoon today, my dad and I watched Cloverfield and it was okay. I’ve seen a lot of horror movies, and it wasn’t that scary, but it was listed as the one of the “top scariest films on Netflix.” I would recommend it if you like Sci-Fi movies and you want a little jump scare here and there. 

Wednesday – April 15, 2020

Today has been a hard day for many Hawaii high school seniors — Superintendent Kishimoto just announced that all traditional commencement ceremonies will be cancelled, and that each individual school will plan a celebration for their seniors. For me, graduation has always been something special to me — I always dreamed of walking across the stage at Aloha Stadium and getting lei from friends and family after. But due to the current circumstances this dream is no longer achievable. Yes, there will be online ceremonies and video celebrations between family and friends, but nothing will measure up to what we were supposed to get.

Although I’m disappointed that we won’t get the traditional ceremony, I think I’m looking at the situation in a “glass half full” type of way. I know MHS is working hard to plan something special for us to celebrate all the hard work we’ve put in these past 13 years. I also think it’s important to reflect and look back on how much I’ve accomplished, the friends and the memories made along the way. In the end, that’s what I’ll remember. So I’m okay with whatever our school plans, as I know that it will be great.

On a brighter note, my family got Zippy’s for dinner and it was a nice change in pace from all the cooking in my house. It made me feel like everything was normal again. I think it’s ironic that before this whole stay-at-home order, I would hate to go out with my mom or my dad to run errands, but now that I’m always in the house, I jump at any chance to go on a drive.