“We Tell the Story” Seniors Give Their Final Musical Performance in “Once On This Island”

Lyndsey Hagihara, Reporter

Love conquers all. From January 24 to Jan. 26 at Pearl City Cultural Center (PCCC),Central Theatre Arts Academy (CTAA) performed “Once On This Island.” The musical is based on the legend of a poor girl and a wealthy boy whose love is tested by four gods who rule over their island.

As the last CTAA-produced musical performance for this school year, the cast and crew worked hard to create an exciting and memorable show. Emotions were high as the seniors gave their all in one of their last performances together, as high schoolers.

“I came to this school when the seniors now were freshman, so I was able to watch them grow and to be a part of their lives the last four years,” said director Carolyn Chung. “It kinda came full circle and just to be able to work with them one last time.”

Most of the cast had been in numerous plays throughout high school. However, “Once OnThis Island” was able to take students out of their comfort zone and create a lasting impact on them with its unique storyline and dance style.

“I’m trying to make this [play] the best one yet,” said Senior Gracia Waite, who played several roles: Madame Armand, Storyteller, Peasant, and Gossiper. Her main role was Andrea, the woman who is arranged to wed Daniel Beauxhomme, one of the show’s star-crossed lovers.

The cast had rehearsal for about three hours every day after school since the beginning of October, all while juggling schoolwork and numerous extracurriculars.“It taught me a lot of time management and just making sure I stick on top of school, ontop of going to rehearsal and just practicing my lines outside of rehearsal as well,” said Senior Kailee Chatters, who played Mama Euralie, the adoptive mother of the orphan protagonist,Ti Moune.

Themes such as segregation allowed students to gain exposure about real life issues through an emotional lense as the musical describes two lovers who were are were both physically and culturally kept apart on the island. The peasants were pushed away by the gates of the Hotel Beauxhomme and are expected to create a livelihood for themselves.

“I hope it kind of opens the door to things like discrimination and I hope that this showcan be a good example of [how] two people can still be together, even though they’re not supposed to,” said Senior Dennis Dilwith, who played Beauxhomme and Storyteller. His main character, Daniel Beauxhomme, is a wealthy young man whose life is saved by a poor village woman, Ti Moune, with whom he falls in love with. 

For many of the seniors, theater allows them to creatively express themselves while also meeting new people. Seeing everyone’s immense amount of talent inspired the castmembers to strive for their best too. As their talents and abilities began to grow, so did the feeling of family within the cast.

“For me, I didn’t come to this school ‘til sophomore year, actually. So I didn’t think how muchI was gonna fit in or about all this,” said Senior Marcus Otaka, who played Ton Ton Julian, the adoptive father of Ti Moune. “But being here for the next few years, I built sort of a family. And now I’ll be the one leaving, so it’s gonna be definitely a hard separation.” 

CTAA will be taking “Once On This Island” to Hilo Palace Theatre on the Big Island on Feb. 22. For more information about CTAA, visit centraltheatreartsacademy.org.