Club Fair: Opportunity and Involvement in Mililani

Danean Wurlitzer, Reporter

For many students, the annual MHS Club Fair is a new opportunity to find a community where they can learn and try new things. On Aug. 28, the cafeteria swarmed with people looking for their favorite interests and hobbies, or something new to get involved in. With over thirty clubs in attendance, each student had the chance to find a group where they felt they could contribute something. 

“Usually, there’s a lot of people that are looking for ways to get involved. The general motivation is encouraging, so hopefully it’s a good way for everybody to find what fits for them,” said English teacher and Mililani LEO Club Advisor Curtis Ogi. 

Sophomore Noelle Shimabukuro also felt the buzz of excitement, and understood how important club fair was to Mililani. As an officer in SkillsUSA, she was passionate about meeting people with the same interests as her. “I think (club fair) helps make communities for people who maybe don’t feel like they belong. They have somewhere that they can go to,” said Shimabukuro. 

The event was filled with different clubs ranging from community service to school committees. The students were able to experience a little bit of everything, then decide what suited them. “I like seeing all the different clubs that we have, so if I haven’t heard of one yet, I can learn about them here, and maybe find something that I might want to join,” said Shimabukuro.

The club fair also creates new opportunities for the clubs themselves to meet new students. Ogi feels that it’s important to have a chance to interact with everybody who is interested.  “It’s a good opportunity for us to reach out to new students, or students who are looking for new ways to get involved,” said Ogi. 

Each club put in a lot of time and thought into their preparations for the fair to make sure they appealed to the students’ curiosity and interest. The design of their booth reflected how they wanted to be portrayed as a community. “For us (LEO Club) this year, we decided to focus visually on how to showcase what we’ve done last year. So lots of pictures (and) lots of printed information. Making everything easily accessible at a quick glance,” said Ogi. 

Overall, the club fair promoted a sense of involvement and community in the school. With the clubs eager to gain more student participation and students excited to meet new people, the fair presented the opportunity for new friends and relationships within the MHS community. “I think that’s an important part of being a student,” said Shimabukuro. “Bonding with other people, having people you can go to, whenever you need somebody.”

The clubs in attendance were: Surf Club, Fellowship Club, First Robotics, Science Club, Ping Pong, Table Top, Student Alliance for Mental Health & Wellness, Video Game Club, Glee Club, Interact Club, DECA, LEO Club, Best Buddies, Hui Malama, Chess Club, Math Club, Mu Alpha Theta, Art Club, International Thespian Society, Sociedad Honoraria Hispanica, Mock Trial, VEX, SkillsUSA, Red Cross, Key Club, National Honor Society and Rocketry Club.