Trojans Bounce Back With Homecoming Victory

Hope Ishizaka, Reporter

On Sept. 15, 2018, the MHS Trojans varsity football team took the field at the John Kauinana Stadium to play against the Campbell Sabers. The Sabers were looking for their fifth straight win of the season, but the Trojans came out victorious at Mililani’s 45th Homecoming game. quarterback Senior Dillon Gabriel helped lead his team by passing over 370 yards which included four of the seven touchdowns made that night.

“(I) felt the team did really well and (I’m) just excited for the future games,” said Gabriel.

At the start of the game, the Trojans came out with an early lead by scoring a touchdown from  wide receiver Senior Ryan Chang who received a pass from Gabriel in the first quarter. A few minutes later, the Campbell Sabers responded back with a touchdown. However, that didn’t stop the Trojans as they came back with four more touchdowns scored by running back Senior Kilifi Malepeai, Gabriel, wide receiver Junior Tre-Anthony (Maka) Hill and linebacker Senior Darius Muasau to bring the first half to a close.

In the second half, the Sabers scored one more touchdown. The Trojans, however, closed the game by scoring two touchdowns, by wide receiver Senior Cy Kuboyama-Hayashi and running back Sophomore Javon Miller, and a field goal by kicker Senior Kekoa Kuloloia, ending the night with a final score of 52-14. Many of the game’s highlights ranged from blocks to different types of scores made in the game. “(A highlight was) when (defensive lineman Senior) Mykah Tuiolemotu blocked (Campbell’s punt return), when our defense was shutting down the (Campbell) offense and when our offense capitalized on that by scoring,” said defensive back Junior Asher Pilanca. Gabriel added, “There’s some big defensive stops that led to offensive scores which were really key to our win.”

Although the Trojans came out with a win, there are still many things to improve upon for following games. Corrections can be made such as the communication with the team. “Yes, there’s always challenges and adversity. We just gotta push through it and work as a team to get through,” said Pilanca. Gabriel added, “I think we really played hard together, some miscommunication but that is totally fixable.”

Mililani’s homecoming victory helped the boys bounce back from last week’s loss to Punahou. With another win in the season, the Trojans are ready for what’s in store. “(I’m) happy and excited — jubilant!” said defensive back Senior Charm Lomibao Jr. “It feels great — great to work with our team and get the dub together,” said Pilanca. “Always to work on getting better and to sharpen my craft and the team and to bring the team together as one.”

The Trojans will play against the Waianae Seariders on Sept. 22 at 6:30 p.m. at John Kauinana Stadium for their senior night and also the last home game of the season.