Finding a voice: ‘The Magic Flute’ features Ishii in chorus

By Minh Tu Ung
(Photo courtesy of Stelio Scordilis) Choral Director Keane Ishii (top right) is no stranger to opera and theatre in general, as he has been a part of the Hawaii Opera Theatre for over 10 seasons, as well as a member of a chamber and church choir.

Over fall break, Choral Director Keane Ishii performed in the chorus of the Hawaii Opera Theatre’s latest production, Mozart’s “The Magic Flute,” with a total of three showings on Oct. 9, 11 and 13. The opera told the story of Prince Tamino and his quest to save Princess Pamena from the evil Sarastro, as beseeched by her mother, the Queen of the Night. 

“This is my 11th season in the opera. The Hawaii Opera Theatre is a fun company to sing with, so we’re really blessed I think, to have (so many) great talents come. (As choral singers), we’re all basically volunteers, but we love it. My experience has been wonderful, and I wouldn’t be the singer I am today without the opera,” Ishii said.

While in the chorus, Ishii played a total of three roles for the opera. “I got three different costumes. I had the normal temple person costume, I was also a slave and I was also a koken, which is a Japanese stage ninja. It’s a person who dresses all in black, to unobtrusively move sets, pick up props and/or serve as a set or prop themselves,” Ishii explained.

This production took about a month to prepare for, as Ishii added, “It’s definitely a professional’s speed because we do have some music rehearsals before, which are the first half, but we really only have time with the principals for two to three weeks because that’s what they do for a living.” Principals are the stars of the show, usually traveling through various productions.

Ishii invited all of his students from Chorus 1 through 4 to watch the show preview night, which also included a backstage tour. “(We) viewed their vocal warm ups and the whole backstage,” said Senior Alanna Poelzing. “It was my first opera that I went to, so it was actually really fun to experience and (the opera) was really good.” Senior Eileen Roco added, “I think a lot of people have the misconception that operas are lame and boring and a little too classical. (The opera) taught me that just because something is professional doesn’t mean that it’s boring. Go to an opera, it’s going to be fun, even if it’s classical, it’s still fun.”

Ishii not only takes part in the Hawaii Opera Theatre, but he is also involved in chamber choir and a choir group for his church. “He’s involved in so many different musical things outside of his teaching career, that when you hear about it, when he tells you about it, you feel so inspired,” Roco said. Poelzing added, “I’ve never actually seen one of my teachers or directors perform before. It was actually pretty cool to see him outside of the whole teacher aspect of him.”

Ishii always informs his students about upcoming productions. “When students come up and they have interest in things like the opera, I feel like I can give them informed, opinionated advice for how to reach that point,” Ishii said. Roco and Poelzing have both expressed plans to participate in the performing arts, as Poelzing has already experienced musical theater.

The Hawaii Opera Theatre’s next production will be “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” in February. Ishii encourages all students to come experience the adaptation of Shakespeare’s famous play.