The Cost of Paradise
Dannika Pila and Arie YamasakiFebruary 7, 2024
Left to right: Trumpets Rylan Akau-Morgan, Peyton Kahiapo and Skylar Hamasu stand in first position during the City of Lights Parade on Dec. 2.
Great Minds Think Alike: Collaborations Between Mililani Schools
Gianna Brown and Arie YamasakiFebruary 7, 2024
Senior Marcus Morifuji faces off against senior Ava Mayfield in a game of chess. The Tabletop Gaming Club
hosted its first chess tournament on Nov. 30, any student was welcome to participate.
Checkmate! Tabletop Gaming Club Hosts Chess Tournament
Marcus Morifuji, Sports Editor • February 6, 2024

Memories across oceans, Spanish students travel to Peru

By Risa Askerooth
(Photo courtesy of Spanish teacher Kehaulani White) (L-R): Winifred Gallogly (12), Selena Neilko (12) and Arianna Frantz (12) spent part of their summer out of the US. It was Neilko and Frantz's first international experience, making their memories that much more special.
(Photo courtesy of Spanish teacher Kehaulani White) (L-R): Winifred Gallogly (12), Selena Neilko (12) and Arianna Frantz (12) spent part of their summer out of the US. It was Neilko and Frantz’s first international experience, making their memories that much more special.

Spanish teacher Kehaulani White and Seniors Winifred Gallogly, Arianna Frantz and Selena Neilko stepped off American soil and braved upwards of 18 hours of travel to immerse themselves in the culture and language of Peru. From June 12 to 22, the three girls, two of whom had never been out of the country before, experienced a life away from home, staying with host families, sightseeing, doing service projects and communicating almost wholly in Spanish.

“From being in Peru, I’ve learned that we take what we have for granted because they don’t have what we have. So seeing it just made me realize what I do have in my life. Also, I learned that I know so much more Spanish than I thought I ever did,” said Neilko.

Once the group took a plane to Colorado, Texas and finally Peru, they journeyed to Cusco, where they witnessed a festival honoring the summer solstice, kayaked on Lake Titicaca, travelled in Mototaxis, visited Ollantaytambo, the Floating Islands of Uros and Machu Picchu, and constructed a sidewalk for the village of Luqina Chico in Puno. “We did a service project in Luquina Chico, and that was a tiny little pueblo of only 75 families. No refrigerators in the house, no microwaves. They didn’t even have a supermarket in that town; it was a farming village. So what we ended up doing was building a sidewalk for that community because they recently got into ecotourism,” said White.

Machu Picchu, an Incan citadel that was constructed in the 15th century and subsequently abandoned, was another memorable moment of the trip. The ruins, which are still undergoing restoration, attract tourists from all over the globe. “We took a different route (so) we didn’t see much of it and then we were blindfolded. And we walked to a part where you could see the entire thing and they had us take off the blindfolds,” recalled Neilko. “It was really big. They have the king’s houses, the schools, the little area for the sheep and stuff. And then they have their farming areas, which was really interesting, and all of it was vibrant green.” Frantz added, “After they told us about it, we got to explore it. It was really cool because on Google, there’s only that one picture you see and then when you go there, it’s like there’s so much more.”

After travelling and working during the day, the group stayed in hotels and with three separate host families for White, the girls, Frantz and Gallogly’s mothers. The host families spoke both Spanish and Aymara, and lived a lifestyle that was new to the girls. “My favorite memory would be staying with our host family because we got to see how other people in a different country live compared to us. They eat what they grow and that’s all they have to eat,” expressed Neilko. “It really impacted me in a way I can’t forget.” White stated, “The kids, as young as they are, have a lot more responsibility, I think, than we do here. For example, in the host family that I stayed with, the 11-year-old girl did all the cooking and she did the cleaning and a lot of watching of the kids and all the laundry.”

Another big shock for the group was the dim lighting everywhere, the lack of hot water and the abundance of boiled potatoes at every meal. “Every meal we had potatoes,” said Frantz. “It was potatoes and then vegetable soup and then rice.” White said, “We saw a lot of poverty but it didn’t feel like it with our families, if you know what I mean. They worked hard and they were rich and they had things that you need.”

As seniors, the girls will not be able to go on the next trip to a Spanish speaking country, which usually occurs every two years. However, with the impression of this foreign country and its people still fresh in mind, White hopes to take classes in future years back to Peru, in order to develop a lasting connection with the community.