Remembering past, celebrating present: Yearbook commemorates year

By Natalie Koch

The Na Manao Poina Ole staff has upped their standards for the yearbook through new additions and design elements in order to present the memories that were made this year through the absence of a theme.

“It’s amazing how it all came together. Everyone contributed and it just – once it finally was set into place, it was really amazing. I was mostly in awe of it mostly because I’ve been a part of teams and group functions but never have we actually produced something that is so gratifying, especially since so many people are going to be taking it home,” said Copy Manager Junior Alexis Molina.

In previous years, the yearbook was created based on a single theme that was consistent throughout the book, but the Na Manao Poina Ole staff intentionally designed this year’s yearbook with no theme. “Starting last year we kind of cancelled the theme or kind of got rid of a theme because we didn’t want to limit all of our content to fit one theme,” explained Editor-in-Chief Senior Aleya Abeshima. “Every year we come up with ideas, but this year we just said no theme and we kind of went with it, (but) we still kept little cohesions here and there.”

Despite the absence of a theme, new additions were added to the yearbook that showcased a new element of Trojan life. “This year we added a Japan page, a band page and a Trojan throwback page, so that was kind of new that people haven’t seen,” said Abeshima. “We started to change the layout recently, we added the student life into the underclassmen section and we also kind of switched up the order, like junior varsity sports and then varsity sports, so they’re kind of separated this year.”

A project of this scale takes a dedicated team effort, consisting of numerous months of planning, proofing and designing. After hours spent in the early morning to the late afternoon, this year’s yearbook finally came together. “We start planning designs for the yearbook (during) summer and it all stops, I believe, around the beginning of fourth quarter, ending of third quarter,” said Molina. Video Producer Junior Scott Alquisa added, “(You) have to put in a lot of work, a lot of time. It’s not something you can shove off, you have to take charge and responsibility for your actions.”

Each individual on the staff takes on a specific role in order produce the multiple sections that make up the yearbook, but Abeshima was faced with a staff of mostly rookies, which made creating the end product slightly more difficult. “There were only two other editors that actually had experience so that was a little rough. (The rookies) didn’t know exactly what design meant entirely, and it’s a lot to learn and at the same time do because we have to get it done for others, but they were still trying to learn in the process,” said Abeshima.

Regardless of the time spent teaching and training the rookies, the staff was able to work as a team and watch out for one another to ensure all deadlines were met. “We kept at a good, constant pace. There were some times where we missed a few deadlines here and there but we were able to catch up and push harder,” said Alquisa. “Sometimes we have this (page) that has to get done, and that person may not be here, so we have to pull someone else from a different team or a different designer to work on that page and get it done, get it out, get it proofed and all that.”

A powerful bond has formed between the yearbook staff that showed through the friendships and memories they made, both in and out of school. “Yearbook isn’t all just work, work, work, get this done, get that done; we also have fun. We usually take some days after school (where) we just hang out, talk story, play some card games, take a break from a few things, have some fun, get some laughs, crack some jokes, so we have a fun environment in a way,” said Alquisa.

Throughout the year, the yearbook staff has been exposed to many aspects of teamwork and leadership and can now enjoy the rewards of their hard work. “When (the yearbook) came in I felt really proud; not of myself, (but) just the fact that we had worked together as a group. I was so incredibly amazed by our achievements,” said Molina. Abeshima added, “I think it’s really great to see your product from the computers, to actually seeing the product in print. I love flipping through the yearbook. Even now I always find something new, and I always like to see how people get excited about it as well.”

The Na Manao Poina Ole staff will continue working as a team as they put together the literary magazine, the Equinox.