An array of greenery surrounds the statue, which is a center piece to Mililani High School’s campus. MHS continues to add and improve landscaping around campus.
New Plants Bloom Around Campus
Kayla Hovanian, Writer • April 10, 2024

Moving forward, breaking boundaries: Track and field athletes leap ahead to state championships

By Jacelyn Hamamoto
(Photo courtesy of Senior Jorden Manuel) In preparation for the Oahu Interscholastic Association championships, teammates of the varsity team dedicated numerous hours and weeks of practice in order to achieve their full potential on the field.

On May 2, MHS hosted the Oahu Interscholastic Association (OIA) track and field championships, bringing together teams from around the island to compete. While the girls team placed third and the boys team took home tenth place, several athletes also excelled individually. Girls team Co-Captain Junior Vanessa Roybal broke the 3000 meter record. Whether they moved on to states or participated in this meet as their last, the teams have grown as both athletes and friends.

“Athletes never go into games or meets expecting to lose. I didn’t expect us to lose, and I’ve always hoped that our girls team could win the OIA title, and I thought we did have a small shot, but we were going up against some really good teams,” said girls track and field Co-Captain Junior Kiana Caranto.

The varsity girls practiced for hours and trained until they reached their full potential. “We’ve been training hard for months and it’s all been geared towards this meet,” Caranto explained. However, besides this important championship, hard work is always important. “No matter what event you’re in, it’s all about practice and staying disciplined. Our team trains pretty hard and I think that showed (at the competition) this weekend,” said Caranto.

The track and field teams had a very successful season thus far, therefore their attitude towards this championship was nothing close to nervous. “I was honestly just excited. I’ve been having a pretty good season and I knew I had prepared myself to succeed. I love this sport so much and I just really wanted to go out here and have a good time,” said Roybal.

Everyone gave their all on the track and rooted for each other during the meet. “It was such a great feeling to watch all of my teammates perform. I know everyone didn’t have their best night but I am so proud of them regardless. It was super cool to see a lot of the freshmen compete at a varsity level and hold their ground,” said Roybal.

By sharing this season together, the girls have grown much closer, as the effort needed from every single person was stressed. “This year we all got a little closer. I think the captains this year really tried to make everyone feel included and to make the underclassmen feel like they were a part of the team. It is so exciting to watch my teammates compete and to cheer them on. They inspire me every single day,” said Roybal.

Despite getting along with teammates, the teams have created bonds of friendship with their coaches who have been their mentors all year.“We have a pretty young coaching staff so our coaches are really relatable and they always joke around with us. They’re just easy to have fun with and they make practices pretty fun. And the best part is that everyone supports each other in what they do,” said Caranto.

As the track and field season came to an end for some of the girls, they have taken lessons from this season such as pushing themselves to achieve the impossible. “I’ve grown a lot throughout the whole season. I’ve become a better runner and a better person, and I think it’s because I’ve been surrounded by such great people along the way,” said Caranto.

No matter what the circumstances, the important motto the coaches stressed that the girls keep in mind was that they should never give up. “If you, as an athlete, truly want to improve and work hard to achieve your goals you can do anything. It all comes back to doing the little things right. Every day you step on the track you have the chance to do something you have never done before” said coach Dan Johnson.

The Hawaii High School Athletic Association track and field championships were held at War Memorial Stadium in Wailuku, Maui from May 15 to 16.