ASMHS wins national recognition by NASC

By Ireland Castillo
(Photo courtesy of Student Activities Coordinator Janet Ward-Riehle) This year, ASMHS have encouraged students to give back to the community and to leave their legacy as a Trojan. Coordinating many events from Spirit Weeks to the MHS Carnival, ASMHS has fulfilled their legacy.

For the first time in MHS history, the Associated Students of Mililani High School (ASMHS) had the honor of winning the 2015 National Gold Council of Excellence Award for their dedication in implementing a strong sense of leadership, responsibility and school pride. ASMHS is one of the few selected councils to have won this award from the National Association of Student Councils (NASC).

“It is history in the making,” said Student Activities Coordinator Janet Ward-Riehle. “I am very proud of this year’s officers for striving for excellence and wanting to represent all MHS students.”

The NASC awards schools that have demonstrated excellence in the fields of leadership, community service, governance and school engagement. From over 9,000 member schools nationwide, ASMHS was chosen as a selected few who showed outstanding efforts in both the community and student body. “Honestly, it is because of (ASMHS President Senior Austin Ajimura). As president this year he has pushed the council, he has pushed us as advisers, he has inspired the school to do bigger, do (well) and to do our part in giving back. That leaving a legacy motto and ensuring that there’s purpose behind our actions has really pushed this year’s group to strive for the highest level,” expressed Ward-Riehle.

Throughout the year, the ASMHS council has done their part in both the school and community to uphold traditions and create new ones. Now, as the year comes to an end the efforts of the school and staff have finally proven their worth. “Starting off this year something I really wanted to accomplish was to encourage our students to leave their legacy and want to inspire others. So, whether that was through leadership, whether that was being a good student in the classroom or through any other service activity, giving back to the community,” said Ajimura, “Any avenue that we can take to inspire people and make our mark here is what I wanted to do this year.”

Through encouraging participation in the Hawaii Food Drive or writing letters to soldiers, ASMHS has coordinated many events that have emphasized the importance of giving back to both the community and school. “I think it is important to instill that value of giving back to the community, feeling like there is a sense of (belonging). When we pull off of H2 into Mililani, it’s home. It’s home, more than just that street, where you live or the school that you go to,” said Ward-Riehle. “It’s important to implement the sense of being a part of the bigger picture.”

The reemergence of old traditions, as well as the formation of new ones, was seen throughout this year. For Ajimura especially, this year was the year to leave a legacy that embraced both the future and the past. “Something that I tell all our officers whether they’re returning or not is, ‘We’ve left our legacy,’ just like I’ve tried to leave a legacy, just as those who have left for me. But it’s in a different way, a different style. I really want to encourage our officers to emphasize (to) our students that what the past generations have done for us is a great thing, but we want to leave something unique to ours, and something different. Do something that will impact for the greater good,” said Ajimura.

After such a successful year, there is much to look forward to in the future. “I really think we are on the precipice of (something wonderful),” explained Principal Fred Murphy. “We have dreams of an even stronger student body and in terms of its engagement, participation and its governance, new activities, beautification on campus, etc. etc. This is just the beginning of hopefully (what) we want to see as years of a build.” Ward-Riehle added, “I’ve always pushed to the student councils whether it be class councils or student body officers to look for new and better ways of doing things.”

As the year comes to an end much will change, however, the legacy set forth by this year’s ASMHS council shall never be forgotten.