The Cost of Paradise
Dannika Pila and Arie YamasakiFebruary 7, 2024
Left to right: Trumpets Rylan Akau-Morgan, Peyton Kahiapo and Skylar Hamasu stand in first position during the City of Lights Parade on Dec. 2.
Great Minds Think Alike: Collaborations Between Mililani Schools
Gianna Brown and Arie YamasakiFebruary 7, 2024
Senior Marcus Morifuji faces off against senior Ava Mayfield in a game of chess. The Tabletop Gaming Club
hosted its first chess tournament on Nov. 30, any student was welcome to participate.
Checkmate! Tabletop Gaming Club Hosts Chess Tournament
Marcus Morifuji, Sports Editor • February 6, 2024

Drumline takes first at invitational

By Misha Lawrence

On April 10, the MHS Drumline placed first in the Kailua High School Invitational Competition. They competed alongside Radford, Kamehameha and Leilehua high schools and other mainland schools.

“This drumline is very special. Every individual is very hard-working and dedicated to their job, but most of all the bond created with this group is indescribable and it’s a real blessing to have the opportunity to play with such talented people,” said former Drumline captain Senior Aliza Ancheta.

Competing demands a lot from its members, however, there were important values each of the members kept in mind throughout the competition. “Whatever you do, you do it with your heart. Though you perform for the pleasure of the audience and for the overall score, you perform for those who stand or play next to you and for those who gave you the opportunity to perform for the line,” said Ancheta. Section Leader Junior Jared Ambrosio added, “The most important thing to think about when competing is to give it your all and connect with the audience. Translating your emotion helps you to enhance performance quality.”

Among the various things the Drumline had to keep in mind, there was a base understanding that everyone lived by. “Drumline to me is all about what we call the ‘five P’s’. The five P’s stand for pride, passion, perseverance, precision and percussion. Drumline is all about these because in order to be a good drumline you need to have pride in what you do because you should be giving your 110 percent and shouldn’t be ashamed of what you put out for other people to see,” said Section Leader Junior Ashley Mae Regaspi. “You need to have passion for drumline. Love what you’re doing because you won’t do well if you have no passion for something.”

For the drumline, the competition isn’t everything, they have a special relationship and bond. “What I like most about drumline is the family aspect. Over time, we just become such a close-knit group through all the time we spend together,” said Ambrosio. Regaspi added, “ I honestly do not just have one thing I love about being a part of drumline. The drumline is seriously my second family and we’re all so close-knit. We spend so much time together and we always motivate each other to do better than the way we were before.”

Drumline season has ended, however, students now look forward to next season.