Surf Club and cadets catch waves with Accessurf Hawaii

By Jacob Balatico
(Photo courtesy of Lt. Col. Timothy Schiller) JROTC and the Surf Club worked together with people from Accessurf Hawaii to transport disabled people on boards to the water. Members and cadets alike hope to continue their service for the years to come. In the meantime, both groups will be returning to assist Accessurf on May 2, putting smiles on the faces of families and participants.

On March 7, MHS’ Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps (JROTC) program and the Surf Club joined together to help out Accessurf at White Plains beach. Accessurf is a nonprofit organization designed to help bring family and friends together through outdoor recreational activities, such as surfing.

“The hard work the cadets and Surf Club members undertook was remarkable,” said Lt. Col. Timothy Schiller. “They enjoyed every minute of this service project.”

The cadets and Surf Club members arrived early on Saturday morning to help out. People with many different types of disabilities and their families arrived and checked in to surf. The cadets and surf club members did a wide range of jobs, from cooking burgers and hot dogs to helping transport disabled people to the beach chair and pushing them to the shoreline. “Each service project I have done has their own unique importance that you cannot compare to one another,” said JROTC member and Surf Club President Junior Brandee Schiller. “More students at Mililani need to be involved in projects like this because what you gain isn’t something you can gain from a textbook or any other experience.”

More experienced surfers were on the board with the disabled. “You build a sense of gratitude for your health and life in general because you see all these people, young and old, with disabilities just wanting to be normal, which we all take for granted,” said Brandee Schiller. “These disabled individuals smile and make the most of who they are and what they’re capable of doing and it’s really inspiring.”

“Blue Crush” superstar and pro surfer Kala Alexander talked to the cadets and Surf Club members about the importance of good work ethics, respecting your elders and the significance of your body position on the surfboard. While this was icing on the cake, the real joy for the cadets and Surf Club members was helping the disabled. Surf Club member Junior Sharon Sakuma said, “Seeing a blind man surf made me feel that nothing is impossible. He was standing up on his own, balancing great and just looked absolutely confident. I aspire to have this kind of courage; to defy expectations and look like a beast doing it and to trust that there are people out there who are kind and will help you regardless if you can see their face or not.”

The Surf Club and JROTC hope to continue their service in the future.