An array of greenery surrounds the statue, which is a center piece to Mililani High School’s campus. MHS continues to add and improve landscaping around campus.
New Plants Bloom Around Campus
Kayla Hovanian, Writer • April 10, 2024

Chinen steps up to plate backed by family, friends

By Timothy Leoncio
(Photo courtesy of Susan Chinen) Micah Chinen (12) has been involved in baseball and has played in various community leagues since he was a child. His family shows a similar love of and investment in the sport and has supported all of Chinen's endeavors.
(Photo courtesy of Susan Chinen) Micah Chinen (12) has been involved in baseball and has played in various community leagues since he was a child. His family shows a similar love of and investment in the sport and has supported all of Chinen’s endeavors.

With his friends and family behind him and the future ahead, starting Pitcher Senior Micah Chinen has displayed continued excellence on the field for the whole of his high school baseball career, using his love for the game to motivate and drive himself forward.

“We are very proud of Micah in that he’s not only shown a commitment to baseball, but that he works hard at trying his best to do his part as a team member,” said Chinen’s father, Merton Chinen. “He understands the importance of being a part of the whole team and that it’s not about him being in the spotlight.”

Micah Chinen began his foray into the sport after taking an interest in it at a very early age and started playing for various community leagues. “The sport caught my eye,” he stated. “I loved throwing and my dad loves baseball, my whole family loves baseball.” Merton Chinen said, “He played in the (Central Oahu Youth Baseball League) and (the) Cal Ripkin League during his younger years and in high school, in addition to playing for the high school team, (he) has played for American Legion during the summers and fall seasons.”

Micah Chinen received the full backing of his family, who are also invested in the game. “Baseball has been a part of our lives forever,” explained Susan Chinen, his mother. “It hasn’t been only a game to us. Baseball has introduced us to families who have become life-long friends.  It’s where these friends have become a part of our family.”

Since then, Micah Chinen’s fondness for the sport has led to the development of his expertise under the guidance of his mentors and helped to grow his overall character. “We know that any success that Micah demonstrates in baseball is due to the credit of the coaches he’s had from playing in youth leagues and during his time with the Mililani Trojan baseball coaches,” said Susan Chinen. “These coaches have greatly impacted his love for the game and have taught him skills not only on the field, but life lessons that he will be able to take with him wherever he goes.”

With all the time that Micah Chinen put into practice and training came the fostering of confidence in and camaraderie with his teammates. “When I’m on the mound I know I got my defense,” he said. “I’m pretty confident with them and they help me out a lot when I’m on the mound. So they make me feel comfortable that I can trust them.” Susan Chinen said, “His teammates on the Trojan baseball team (are) like a second family to him.  He not only got to play a game he loves, but also gained brothers that he never had.”

As it is such an integral part of his life, Micah Chinen hopes to not only play baseball for the remainder of his time on the MHS varsity team, but continue his baseball career in the college of his choice.