An array of greenery surrounds the statue, which is a center piece to Mililani High School’s campus. MHS continues to add and improve landscaping around campus.
New Plants Bloom Around Campus
Kayla Hovanian, Writer • April 10, 2024

Malepeai ranks second at Nike Football Combine

By Harlan Rose
(Photo courtesy of Junior Vavae Malepeai) At the Nike Combine, the athletes from MHS were able to interact with football players from other high schoolers around the island, allowing them to develop and foster new friendships.

Following a successful football season, several athletes from the varsity team participated in the 2015 Hawaii Nike Football Combine on Feb. 8 at Aloha Stadium. After competing in a series of several events and having their scores tallied up, Juniors Running Back Vavae Malepeai, Wide Receiver Kalakaua Timoteo III and Wide Receiver Nicholas Culp ranked second, fourth and fifth in the state respectively.

“It was a good experience. We just showed a lot of other athletes around the island and the state and see how you match up to them in those events,” said Malepeai, who received a score of 113.73. “But you know what I mean, it’s just numbers. It doesn’t really determine how well you play the game.”

The Nike Combine is a free event in which high school football players nationwide participate in four conditioning events. “You just do four events. It’s the 40 yard dash, the shuttle, the powerball toss and the vertical jump and they just track down your numbers on what you get,” said Malepeai. Culp, who received a score of 102.42, added, “They just test that to see where you are in your football athleticism. They just check to see where you’re at and then you’re ranked basically on that.” Additionally, Timoteo received a score of 103.68. The rating each athlete receives is then compared to national high school football players.

Aside from the four events, some athletes were able to take part in one-on-one discussions with other players. “I had one-on-ones with the (defensive backs),” said Culp. “(The Combine was)  basically testing both of your guys’ skill at the same time. We did that, and I caught a few balls and then talked to the (defensive backs).”

The Combine also served as an opportunity to bond and interact with their teammates and other high school football players from across the state. “(I enjoyed) hanging out with my friends. Like (Timoteo), the kids from Mililani, like (Timoteo, Defensive Lineman Junior Kaimana Padello and) meeting other players from other schools,” expressed Malepeai.

After participating in the Combine, some athletes expressed interest in participating again, while others saw the importance of focusing on the upcoming football season. “I’m probably going to try and go to another combine so I can get my 40 (yard dash) time (down) because I had a 4.7 and I want to try and get a 4.5 so colleges will look at that,” said Culp. Malepeai added, “I did alright, I did pretty good so the numbers that I have, I’m not satisfied but it’s good enough to get me where I want to go. I just have other things to concentrate on too, like actually playing football, instead of just running straight through a couple cones and stuff.”

The football team is currently practicing in preparation for a new football season next year.