The Cost of Paradise
Dannika Pila and Arie YamasakiFebruary 7, 2024
Left to right: Trumpets Rylan Akau-Morgan, Peyton Kahiapo and Skylar Hamasu stand in first position during the City of Lights Parade on Dec. 2.
Great Minds Think Alike: Collaborations Between Mililani Schools
Gianna Brown and Arie YamasakiFebruary 7, 2024
Senior Marcus Morifuji faces off against senior Ava Mayfield in a game of chess. The Tabletop Gaming Club
hosted its first chess tournament on Nov. 30, any student was welcome to participate.
Checkmate! Tabletop Gaming Club Hosts Chess Tournament
Marcus Morifuji, Sports Editor • February 6, 2024

Right to vaccinate is our choice to make

By Danielle Smith

After the recent outbreak of measles and other illnesses of this age, the lives of American citizens are facing a new threat. This has caused much speculation on the answer to one question: Should parents have the option to vaccinate their children?

Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs and opinions about the well-being of their children. The decisions that people make for their children are theirs alone, and should not be mandated by government laws or what’s right for the sake of society as a whole. So when the question of whether or not children should be vaccinated is raised, the answer should be left up to the parents. Some may choose to and some may not, but most parents have only what’s best for their children in mind and will decide accordingly. Of course, these decisions won’t come without consequence, whether it be other parents who argue against it or a child catching the illness. Vaccinations are a risky game and most parents know this. But it should be the parents’ decision to play the game, rather than being forced to play by rules that have been set by the government and society.

Many will argue that parents should get the vaccination if not for themselves, then for the rest of the community. It’s understandable that people would want to protect themselves as well as their children from getting these diseases, but our decisions should not be so easily influenced by the opinions of everyone around us.In the article titled “How To Argue For Mandatory Vaccinations In Schools: 7 Anti-Vaxxer Arguments, Debunked,” by Chris Tognotti on the Bustle Magazine website, Tognotti gets straight to the point when he states, “Deciding not to vaccinate isn’t just putting one’s own child and other healthy children at risk, it’s also endangering the most vulnerable and in need of care.” What Tognotti and others who agree with him fail to see is that because one parent does not get their child vaccinated, it doesn’t mean that others can’t. If they want their child protected, vaccinations are still an option that will protect them from not only the diseases that travel through the air, but also from other kids who may also be carrying a disease. Parents with sickly children know how sick their child can become and will almost always take precautions to prevent that from happening. For those who don’t, they realize the risk that they are taking but it’s still one they’ve decided to take.

While speculation and new arguments will continue to arise, it should stand that the decision to vaccinate one’s child should be the decision of the parent and not the decision of a third party.