FFA reaps success at state convention

By Jacob Balatico

From Feb. 26 to 28, nine students from MHS’ Future Farmers of America (FFA) program participated in the FFA state convention on Maui. These students participated in an array of categories such as Agriculture Demonstration, Corsage Making, Vegetable Judging, Parliamentary Procedure and Plant Identification.

“This past convention we had only 12 schools participate,” said FFA adviser Jeffrey Yamaguchi. “In the past years we’ve had as many as 20 to 22 schools participate so it’s gotten a little bit smaller but we’re working on building it back up again.”

The FFA convention is an annual gathering of FFA members from all schools in Hawaii who get together to compete against one another. However this competition also serves to have schools come together and socialize with all the other FFA programs. “Schools present themselves and show what they have to offer in the FFA community,” said Senior Jacob Ramirez. “FFA Hawaii is a little bit different in that we have what we call district contests on each island and we use that as kind of a qualifier,” said Yamaguchi. “So for Oahu districts the first and second places qualify to go to states. Big Island is the same, the top two placers and then Maui and Kauai, only the first place winners move on to states.”

Training for the students differed depending on the category they entered. In prepartion of the competition students spent time in and out of the classroom to perfect their performances. “(Students) practice for one to possibly two different contests,” said Yamaguchi. “Certain contests are speaking contests so a lot of memorization. It’s kind of like the agriculture demonstration, it’s kind of like a skills demonstration so you’re speaking as well as showing a skill related to agriculture. Another I didn’t mention is Prepared Speech so the student comes up with a topic, writes a five through seven minute speech, prepares it and presents it.” Senior David Ishii added, “I did Creed and Agriculture Demonstration so I did more speech and presentation preparation.” Senior Kealii Kalahiki also added, “For the competitions, we trained almost every day in class before the districts. By the time districts were finished, we were very good if not the best at what we did.”

As an elective, the students in the FFA program had the advantage of time in class to practice. Yamaguchi said, “What’s nice about our situation is that (the FFA program) is a regular class period. For a lot of other chapters, it’s an after school type of organization where they need to come in outside of class time to practice and prepare so we are lucky that we get class time to prepare for the different competitions. I’ve been doing this for 25 years and every year, it’s good. You don’t get tired of it. As a teacher, it’s one of the few things that recharges your batteries.”

After much time spent preparing and practicing for the competition, the students hard work did not go unnoticed. For the hard work that the students put in paid off. “Nine students went and all placed at least third,” said Yamaguchi. “It was nice nobody was left out.” Kalahiki added, “Honestly, I just hoped to win the competitions because I believed they are great achievements. I also wanted to pay Mr. Yamaguchi back because he takes care of us and puts so much effort in. I wanted to do good and put as much effort in as he does.”

However, winning wasn’t the only thing the students were hoping for. For this opportunity to compete also serves as a learning opportunity for students to learn and grow from. “My hopes were to learn more about agriculture,” said Ishii. “It’s kind of like the lessons athletics tries to impart on their players,” said Yamaguchi. “Do your best, try your best, prepare to the best of your ability and it’s not so much about getting the first place. It’s more about making sure you have no regrets. All those different catchphrases they have like leaving it on the field, it’s the same philosophy.”

The FFA students finished strong in their last competition and will continue to sow their knowledge for future generations to reap.