The Cost of Paradise
Dannika Pila and Arie YamasakiFebruary 7, 2024
Left to right: Trumpets Rylan Akau-Morgan, Peyton Kahiapo and Skylar Hamasu stand in first position during the City of Lights Parade on Dec. 2.
Great Minds Think Alike: Collaborations Between Mililani Schools
Gianna Brown and Arie YamasakiFebruary 7, 2024
Senior Marcus Morifuji faces off against senior Ava Mayfield in a game of chess. The Tabletop Gaming Club
hosted its first chess tournament on Nov. 30, any student was welcome to participate.
Checkmate! Tabletop Gaming Club Hosts Chess Tournament
Marcus Morifuji, Sports Editor • February 6, 2024

More than two decades later, Mililani Carnival returns

By Risa Askerooth
(Photo courtesy of alumnus Ryan Hung) Although there was a significant turnout during the day, the nighttime carnival was the busiest, with crowds of people coming out to eat staple carnival foods and admire the lights of the rides.

The Mililani Carnival was a cherished event in the ‘80s, bringing the small community of Mililani excitement and laughter, as well as its games and rides. Now, after 20 years and extensive planning, it returned in full force from Feb. 20 to 22.

“It’s so great. I mean, I think Mililani’s such a tight community anyway that having something like a carnival is such a good way to show community spirit,” said Rep. Beth Fukumoto Chang. “Just seeing our whole community come out to support our school is really amazing because it shows how supportive we are of our community and how we all like to work together and it’s just good to see people enjoying each other and just having fun,” stated Senior Micah Talamoa, who volunteered at the Science Club’s booth.

MHS clubs and organizations were able to earn revenue by setting up their own booths selling food or running games. The weekend was also packed with performances from Central Theatre Arts Academy, hula, MHS’ Jazz Band and student bands 2k Away and Strangers with Kandy. Accompanying everything were signature carnival foods such as funnel cake, cotton candy, corn-on-the-cob and deep-fried twinkies and oreos.

Members of the community rallied around the carnival and its attractions, forming tighter bonds with MHS and each other. “It makes me feel happy that we have this much support for our school. We’re not really like a big private school or anything. To see so many parents and friends just coming out to help us even though we’re not a big, funded school, to support us, I thought that was really cool,” said Junior Cody Ohira. MHS alumna Rep. Lauren Cheape Matsumoto added, “Mililani is already such a tight-knit community and events like this just continues that sense of being together and fellowship and so I hope that it does that.” Even Hawaii News Now and KITV showed their support by covering the event.

The funds collected over the course of the 27-hour carnival will feed directly back into MHS and open up even greater opportunities to students. Fifty percent of the revenue will go to a budget committee that will allocate money to teachers for use in programs or the classroom. “These extra funds will help our championship teams travel to mainland events, they’re going to help support facilities improvement and provide professional development activities for teachers,” expressed Principal Fred Murphy. “It’s going to hugely impact the students.”

Planning the return of the carnival was a major process that required the time and energy of a whole spectrum of people. However, the difficulties they faced were greatly outweighed by the end result. “You’ve got to be that duck that glides across the top of the pond and let people see that beautiful picture, while your legs are frantically kicking. And that just comes with the job and that’s what makes you tired but, at the end of the day, that’s what we’re here for, is to make traditions happen,” said Murphy. “That’s my job, that’s what I love to do.”

The frantic pace of the weekend made falling back into routine on Monday difficult, but satisfied patrons of the carnival can anticipate many more to come in future years.