Five facts about Destiny

By Jacob Balatico

Destiny is Bungie’s newest game since they created Halo Reach in 2010. It began development in 2009 and was released on Sept. 9, 2014. It was one of 2014’s most anticipated games of the year. Here are five facts you may or may not have known about Destiny. 

1. The first known reference to Destiny was in Bungie’s 2009 game Halo 3: ODST. There was a sign on a wall that read “Destiny Awaits.” These words were accompanied by a picture of Earth with an orb floating nearby, most likely a reference to the Traveler in Destiny. This was a teaser three years before Destiny’s official announcement.
  2. Before the game’s working title was Destiny, it was referred to as Project Tiger.
  3. The three classes in Destiny are influenced by many different things. The hunter is based on the classic bounty hunter and also draws influence from Star Wars’ Han Solo and characters from old western films such as Clint Eastwood’s Man with no Name. Warlocks are influenced by Star Wars’ Jedi Knights, The Lord of the Rings’ Gandalf and The Matrix series’ Morpheus. Titans are modeled after Bungie’s own Master Chief and other space marines.
  4. As of August 12, 2014, Destiny has set a record in the video game industry as the most pre-ordered new franchise.
  5. Destiny features a “persistent, dynamic, online world” that includes realistic changes of light and weather.