An array of greenery surrounds the statue, which is a center piece to Mililani High School’s campus. MHS continues to add and improve landscaping around campus.
New Plants Bloom Around Campus
Kayla Hovanian, Writer • April 10, 2024

A leader beyond the court, Bolibol goes beyond expectations

By Danielle Smith
(Photo courtesy of Senior Summer Bolibol) While Summer Bolibol (12) spends most of her time on the court, she continues to work hard in maintaining a high average in her academics in pursuit of attending a college in her near future.

Balancing academics and leading a team is no easy task, but with a passion for basketball since her childhood days, co-captain of the basketball team Senior Summer Bolibol has come a long way due to her dedication and the support of friends and family.

“I think her sportsmanship is fabulous, she’s been able to make a lot of friends, her grades are fantastic. As a person, I don’t have to tell her to do anything. She knows what she has to get done and she does it. She just has so much self motivation and I’m very proud of her,” said Sandy Bolibol, mother of Summer Bolibol.

Summer Bolibol’s devotion to basketball has stayed with her since she began playing in elementary school. “She’s played it since she was about in her third grade,” said Sandy Bolibol. “She loved the strength and the challenge of it.” Summer Bolibol added, “It’s always been my fallback thing, like when I need a stress reliever or something to do or ease the mind. It’s something (that’s) always been there when I needed it.”

As one who has been looking out for her team since freshman year, Summer Bolibol makes it a point to always encourage and lead the players of the team. “I like to lead by example,” Summer Bolibol said, “I want to show them what they’re expected to do. So when we’re playing out there, I always give my hundred percent and I’m always out there encouraging people.” Head Coach Patrick Basilio added, “She continues to be a positive influence for the team with her belief and conviction in all that she sets out to do.”

Summer Bolibol’s leadership and determination is not only found on the court, but also in her everyday activities. “She is very determined off and on the court. When she puts her head in something, she goes all the way for it,” said Sandy Bolibol. Summer Bolibol added, “In anything that I do, if something doesn’t go my way, I’ll keep working until it either molds to fit the thing that I want to accomplish or I find ways around it to get what I want done.”

Summer Bolibol has improved not only in basketball, but also as a person since she began playing for the team. “Freshman year I was really quiet on the court,” said Summer Bolibol. “Now though, being a leader and captain on the team and even amongst my peers, I feel that I really broke through that shell of just keeping to myself and looking out only for myself. Now, I’m always concerned about others and making sure that everyone else’s need comes before mine.”

While Summer Bolibol supports those on her team, there are others who extend the same support to her as well, in more than just her basketball career. “Her coaches and her teammates and the people she came across through the years have really been helpful to mentor her and be there for her,” Sandy Bolibol said. Basilio added, “I would like to think that I was able to provide a means that aided Summer to not only accomplish every goal that she had set for herself throughout her high school career, but (to) exceed them.”

While Summer Bolibol intends to focus on her academics, she hopes to be able to play basketball in college.