An array of greenery surrounds the statue, which is a center piece to Mililani High School’s campus. MHS continues to add and improve landscaping around campus.
New Plants Bloom Around Campus
Kayla Hovanian, Writer • April 10, 2024

Hashimoto at head of pack in love for running

By Risa Askerooth
(Timothy Leoncio | Trojan Times) Even after putting in the exhaustive effort of running for years, Katie Hashimoto (9) has a solid dream and driving ambition.

With six years of running and over 20 recreational races under her belt, Freshman Katie Hashimoto has legs that have logged more miles than the average person. Since discovering the sport in the fourth grade, Hashimoto’s passion has flowered into a love that keeps her dedicated to track and field, cross country and the athletes on each of the respective teams that support her dreams for the future.

“I am so excited for Katie. She has four years ahead of her and I know she is going to so many great things,” cross country co-captain Junior Vanessa Roybal said. “She is more of a speed runner so I am so stoked to see what she does in track this season and the rest of her high school career.” Hashimoto added, “I definitely plan on running in college and someday maybe the Olympics.”

Her introduction to running early in life did not exempt her from the practice of putting in effort to reap results. “It was kind of the only sport in elementary school, so everyone kind of wanted to do it and I wanted to do it too. So the first year I didn’t make it though. But it kind of motivated me so then I started liking it more,” recalled Hashimoto. “She made leaps and bounds her sixth grade year. And I can see it this year that she’s definitely improved,” stated Eric Hashimoto, Katie Hashimoto’s father.

In middle school, Katie Hashimoto won the title of MVP in seventh grade for cross country and a leadership award in eighth grade for track and field. In the first cross country season of her high school career, Katie Hashimoto placed eighth at the Oahu Interscholastic Association (OIA) Western Division championships and 15th overall at the OIA JV championships, ranking her as one of the top 20 runners in the state.

Even though the practices are challenging and the races sometimes painful, the feeling at the end of each run is overwhelming in its positivity. “I remind myself that pain is temporary and quitting lasts forever,” said Katie Hashimoto. “After I finish running, it’s one of my favorite feelings in the world because you feel so accomplished and you feel really proud of yourself and you know the pain is over.”

Running competitively isn’t the only aspect of the sport that Katie Hashimoto enjoys, as she has participated in recreational runs over the course of the last five years. “I started getting into it since fifth grade when I did the Reindeer Run – it’s a 5k. And then my favorite one is probably the one I just did – the 10k. It’s called Sharon’s Run.” she said.

In a typical week, Katie Hashimoto runs roughly 20 to 25 miles. The sense of solidarity that comes with running together with a team almost every week helps to keep their love for each other and for the sport as strong as ever. “I like all my teammates, they’re so fun and they’re really motivating and I guess it’s just more fun because it’s more competitive,” said Katie Hashimoto. Roybal added, “She’s super cute and really sweet. She’s always so nice to everyone and she can always make me laugh.”

As Katie Hashimoto dashes into the start of track season, her training and her love of running will not cease, as she works to better herself and her personal records for an even bigger and brighter future.