An array of greenery surrounds the statue, which is a center piece to Mililani High School’s campus. MHS continues to add and improve landscaping around campus.
New Plants Bloom Around Campus
Kayla Hovanian, Writer • April 10, 2024

College and Career Center: December 17, 2014

The College and Career Center will be closed during winter break. Please plan accordingly.

Happy holidays!

Senior Announcements:

Application Deadlines

If you have not done so already, submit your applications and/or transcript requests! Stop procrastinating! If applying online, you still need to turn in a transcript request to C&CC so we can add your list of senior courses and attach our school’s profile. Let us know if there are any questions.

UH Community College Application

The community colleges are a smart choice for starting a four-year degree. With an AA degree from a community college, you can transfer with your “core” general education requirements fulfilled, with substantial savings. The community colleges provide quality education, more personalized attention and lots of opportunities. Popular programs fill up quickly, so complete the online application as soon as possible. To apply, go to apply.hawaii.edu

Scholarship Award Letter

If you receive a scholarship or financial award from a school or organization, forward a copy of the award letter to our office, whether you accept it or not. We will use it for our report and you will be recognized in the graduation program.

Financial Aid – Available Online Jan. 1

With all of the economic concerns that are happening around us, financial aid will play an important part in the college application process. The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) provides the foundation for the college financial aid process. Colleges and many scholarship foundations use the report generated by the FAFSA to evaluate an applicant’s financial need. You must file the FAFSA even if you seek only grants, work study or subsidized loans. Request forms or complete the form online after Jan. 1 at www.fafsa.ed.gov. Each college has a priority deadline and most aid is awarded on a first-come, first-serve basis, so file your FAFSA as soon as possible.

Reminders

College Goal 808 – Jan. 25 at 1 p.m. and 2 p.m.

College Goal 808 (Leilehua High School) – Feb. 4 at 6 p.m.

College Goal 808

Get FREE help completing the online FAFSA. It’s the first step toward getting the student financial aid available to you. It is recommended that you register online, however walk-ins are also welcome to attend – go to www.collegegoal808.org to register or for more information.

Selective Service: All Males 18 Years of Age Must Register

In order to qualify for federal student loans and grants, job training and employment, males 18 years of age must register with Selective Service. Go to sss.gov for more information.

Scholarships Posted on Edline

Check Edline or our bulletin board for the latest scholarship listings. Any scholarship money that you receive means less money out of your pocket. Follow the instructions and watch your deadlines!

Other Announcements: 

Thursday, Jan. 29 – College Planning Night at 7 p.m. in the Cafeteria

You are invited to attend a free, informative presentation suitable for students in grades nine to 12 and their families. Sessions include high school preparation, choosing a college, financial aid and more! Each family who attends will receive a free workbook. Hope to see you then!

Tuesday, March 3 – ACT/PLAN/EXPLORE Test Day

Mark this date on your calendar! We will be administering these various tests to ALL ninth to 11 graders on Tuesday, March 3. More information will be forthcoming.

PSAT Test Results are In!

Thank you to everyone for your flexibility with the postponement of the PSAT. If you have not already done so, you can pick up your score reports from your grade level counselor.

Registration Information

Registration for next school year’s classes will begin in January. Utilize the resources that we have available at MHS by taking interesting or challenging courses. Some colleges require a fine arts class, while others recommend that students take three years of a foreign language. UH-Manoa requires 17 college-prep classes (core classes and world language). Colleges like to see a rigorous course schedule, especially in senior year, so check the websites of prospective colleges and plan your schedule accordingly.

SAT or ACT College Entrance Exams

Underclassmen, especially juniors, should sign up now for the SAT, ACT or SAT subject tests (if needed). Sites and dates fill up very quickly, so plan accordingly. Go to collegeboard.org or actstudent.org to sign up for the appropriate test. Our school’s CEEB code is 120-197.

Fee Waivers Available

Students on free or reduced lunch are available for SAT, ACT and NCAA clearinghouse fee waivers. See Mrs. Yamamoto and pick up your fee waiver today.

Running Start

The Running Start program is a unique partnership between the DOE and the UH system. It allows public high school juniors and seniors to attend college classes while earning both high school and college credits. Come to C&CC for more information, or visit www.hawaii.edu/runningstart

Compiled by College and Career Center Counselor Denise Yamamoto