Supreme Court comes to MHS, Samson vs. Nahulu

By Ireland Castillo

Dec. 4 marked the first time in Hawaii’s history that a Hawaii Supreme Court proceeding was hosted at MHS. As part of the court’s educational outreach program, Courts in the Community,  students from various schools statewide were able to attend.

“Once you give people the opportunity to see it in action, they’ll understand and really appreciate a system that has fairness and integrity,” said Chief Supreme Court Justice Mark Recktenwald.

The program focuses on exposing high school students to the proceedings of judiciary hearings. In this case, a mixture of MHS, Leiluhua, Radford, Hanalani, Waialua, Hoala and Assets students had the privilege of witnessing the oral arguments presented by the attorneys involved in the Samson v. Nahulu case. The event was also open to the general public.

With the intention of exposing students to Hawaii’s judicial system, the program has shined new light on the proceedings of Hawaii’s government. “(It) shows to the public and to the students exactly how the process works, and we hope that helps to foster understanding,” said Recktenwald. “Having watched the arguments today, they’ll recognize that each side had a fair shot to represent their side of the story, that the justices ask tough questions of all sides and so it’s a system that people can have confidence in that’s going to lead to a fair outcome and that everybody’s going to have their voice be heard.”

The oral arguments were presented by the attorneys of the case and were received by the six Supreme Court justices. After the oral arguments were heard, students were given the opportunity to initiate a Q&A with the attorneys involved in the case. “I think the thing that I found the most interesting at what happened today was the questioning and how the students all got (to) ask all the attorneys (questions),” said Freshman Giscelle Rosario. “It was really interesting for me to see because the thing was a lot more exciting than I thought it would be.”

Before the proceedings, MHS students were introduced to the case as part of a way to familiarize themselves with the proceedings that take place in both the judicial system and an appellate court case. “In terms of preparation we looked at the case materials, we engaged in a moot court activity and we had the fortune to interact with some amazing attorneys,” said Social Studies teacher Amy Perruso.  Rosario added, “In the classroom we went over the, we went over like a trial kind of thing where we played out the roles of the attorneys and stuff and we went over the appellate case and judicial system.”

Educators and students alike recognize the importance of learning through experience. “I think this kind of program and opportunity is really powerful for students, not only because they get to see the law in action and it becomes alive for them, but because I want our students at (MHS) to start seeing themselves in those positions and to start working towards those kind of goals, ” said Perruso. Recktenwald added, “I think the most important thing is that it gives us the opportunity to show the public, in particular young people, the court in action. You know you can talk about courts and what they do, but (until) you actually see the process, it doesn’t really hit home.”

The program has also visited other schools in the past two years, including Farrington High School in 2012. As for MHS students who attended the event, they will continue to research the relationship and importances of government powers and their checks and balances.