Above and beyond the court, Miguel takes it to whole new level

By Misha Lawrence

With every bump, spike and volley, with every point, with every game, varsity volleyball Captain Senior Kristen Miguel stands strong with her fellow Lady Trojans. Her dedication and skills have put her in the spotlight as captain and an excelling student.

“I would describe myself as a leader,” Miguel said. “I feel that I have specific drives within me that portray leadership in many different ways on and off the court. I’m a friendly person and definitely a confident person, confident in myself.”

Throughout her seven years playing volleyball, Miguel has looked up to many people who have changed the way she plays the game today. “A lot of my inspiration came from (alumna) Jordyn Keamo, who graduated last year,” said Miguel. “Just her drive and her motivation and her love for the game really inspired me to play volleyball and that’s really what gets me going.”

She also found herself inspired by another former teammate, alumna Ashlee Vaoifi. “I think she taught me a lot, both skill-wise and mentally,” expressed Miguel. “I really looked up to her because she was only like 5’6” and she was so dominant on the left side and I feel like I just wanted to be just like her and I worked hard. I think I’m almost there.” Vaoifi also enjoyed her time on the team with Miguel. “I love playing volleyball with (Miguel) because she’s a competitive, upbeat and great leader. We were basically sisters so it was as if she knew exactly what I was thinking all the time,” said Vaoifi.

Miguel lives by standards that push her through every day of her high school career and every day after. “I believe with all my heart in the quote, ‘Courage in the face of defeat.’ I believe in overcoming adversity,” said Miguel.

She also inspires her team with these standards as they faced loss against Kapolei High School in the Oahu Interscholastic Association (OIA) semifinal game. “I think everything happens for a reason and overcoming that loss and coming out in third place for the OIA was definitely something that I think I got through to my team. Even though we lost, you know we still gotta push ourselves,” Miguel said.

In addition, Miguel’s father, Daniel Miguel, supports Kristen Miguel’s dedication to the sport and admires her passion and love for the game and her teammates. “Immediately I see a player who is passionate and loves the game of volleyball. She clearly shows passion in winning and she is very inclusive, encouraging and supportive to all of her teammates,” Daniel Miguel said.

Kristen Miguel has big plans for her future. “I’m hoping that I can get offered (a scholarship) by some college in the continental United States before May. I also wanna pursue my degree in biology and I (want to) be a pre-med and become an emergency room physician when I grow up and I (want to) play division one volleyball,” she said.

Kristen Miguel hopes to continue playing volleyball even after she leaves high school and until then, will continue representing MHS as an excellent student and player on and off the field. This being her senior year, Kristen Miguel is giving it all she has.