College and Career Center: April 28, 2014

master

Compiled by College and Career Counselor Denise Yamamoto

Senior Announcements:

Seniors! Graduation is right around the corner!

May 1 – Reply to Colleges

May 1 is the universal deadline to let schools know whether you are accepting their offer of admission or not. This is not a postmarked deadline.

Scholarship Letters

Turn in any scholarship letters that you have received to be recognized in the graduation program. Deadline to C&CC is May 2.

Transcript Requests

Turn in your final, eight  semester transcript request, if the college needs your final grades. Community colleges need your final transcript if you have applied for financial aid. If you are a scholarship athlete, you also need to send your final grades to the NCAA Clearinghouse or NAIA. You can do this now, the registrar’s office will hold your request until your final grades are posted in June.

Prep for Overseas College

Going away for college?  Then this is just a reminder to make travel arrangements for winter break. Check the college’s calendar online to determine their final exam schedule. Some dorms close on the last day of finals, so plan accordingly.

Health Clearance 

Be sure to turn in your health clearance information (TB test and/or MMR shot record) to the school you will be attending. You will not be able to register for your classes until this is complete.

Don’t Forget Your Thank Yous!

Don’t forget to thank the teachers and counselors who helped you with your college/scholarship recommendations and mid-year reports.

After Graduation

Our local community colleges are still accepting applications. Go to apply.hawaii.edu to apply. Still undecided about what to do after graduation? See Mrs. Yamamoto ASAP!

Selective Service

According to the Selective Service System, almost all male U.S. citizens, and males living in the U.S. who are age 18 through 25, are required to register with Selective Service. It’s important to know that even though you are registered, you will not automatically be inducted into the military. In a crisis requiring a draft, men would be called in sequence determined by a random lottery number and year of birth. Then, they would be examined for mental, physical and moral fitness by the military before being deferred or exempted from military service or inducted into the Armed Forces. So, if you are a man age 18 through 25 and living in the U.S., then you must register with Selective Service. Go to sss.gov for more information.

Other Announcements:

ACT Test Results

If you took the ACT with us in March, you should have received your test results in the mail. If you did not, see your counselor for a copy of your scores. PLAN and EXPLORE test results will be disseminated through advisory at a later time.

Juniors!

Juniors should be getting ready for senior year. Reminders: distribute and collect student evaluation sheets, update your resume, take at least one SAT or ACT test, make an appointment with your counselor, request for letters of recommendation (if applicable) and research your schools. Make an appointment with Mrs. Yamamoto if you need help with your college search or if you have any questions.

Work Permit

Students who need a work permit need to apply online at www.hawaii.gov/labor. You will need to provide an email address and the last four digits of your social security number.

Fee Waivers Available

Students on free or reduced lunch are available for SAT, ACT and NCAA Clearinghouse fee waivers. See Mrs. Yamamoto and pick up your fee waiver today.

Running Start

The Running Start program is a unique partnership between the DOE and the UH system. It allows public high school juniors and seniors to attend college classes while earning both high school and college credits. Students should have a 3.0 minimum GPA to apply. Deadlines are approaching so come to C&CC for more information or visit www.hawaii.edu/runningstart

Volunteer Opportunities

This invaluable experience will give students insights to the world of work and will enhance their resume. Call companies or organizations and inquire about volunteer opportunities that they offer.