College and Career Center: Dec. 12, 2013

master

Compiled by College and Career Counselor Denise Yamamoto

Senior Announcements:

Application Deadlines

If you have not done so already, submit your applications and/or transcript requests. Stop procrastinating. If applying online, you still need to turn in a transcript request to C&CC so we can add your list of senior courses and attach our school’s profile.

UH Community College Application

Community colleges are a smart choice for a 4-year degree. With an AA degree from a community college, you can transfer with your “core” general education requirements fulfilled, with substantial savings. The community colleges provide quality education, more personalized attention and lots of opportunities. Programs fill up quickly, so complete the online application as soon as possible. To apply, go to apply.hawaii.edu

Scholarship Award Letter

If you receive a scholarship or financial award from a school or organization, forward a copy of the award letter to our office, whether you accept it or not. We will use it for our report and you will be recognized in the graduation program.

Financial Aid – Available Online Jan. 1

With all of the economic concerns that are happening around us, financial aid will play an important piece in the college application process. The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) provides the foundation for the college financial aid process. Colleges and many scholarship foundations use the report generated by the FAFSA to evaluate an applicant’s financial need. You must file the FAFSA even if you seek only grants, work study or subsidized loans. Request for forms or complete the form online after Jan. 1 at www.fafsa.ed.gov. Each college has a priority deadline and most aid is awarded on a first-come, first-served basis, so file your FAFSA as soon as possible.

Reminders

Financial Aid Night – Dec. 11 at 6:30 p.m. – MHS cafe

College Goal 808 – Jan. 12 at 1 p.m. and 2:30 p.m.

College Goal 808 (Leilehua HS) – Jan. 15 at 6 p.m.

College Goal 808

Get free help completing the online FAFSA. It’s the first step toward getting the financial aid available to you. You must register online to attend – go to www.collegegoal808.org to register or for more information.

Selective Service: All males 18 years of age must register

In order to qualify for federal student loans and grants, job training and employment, males 18 years of age must register with Selective Service. Go to sss.gov for more information.

Scholarships Posted on Edline

Check Edline or our bulletin board for the latest scholarship listing. Any scholarship money that you receive means less money out of your pocket. Follow the instructions and watch your deadlines.

Other Announcements:

Registration Information

Registration for next school year’s classes will begin in January. Utilize the resources that we have available at MHS by taking interesting or challenging courses. Some colleges require a fine arts class, while others recommend three years of a foreign language. UH-Manoa requires 17 college-prep classes (core classes and world language). Colleges like to see a rigorous course schedule, especially in senior year, so check the website of prospective colleges and plan your schedule accordingly.

SAT or ACT College Entrance Exams

Underclassmen, especially juniors, should sign up now for the SAT, ACT or SAT Subject Tests (if needed). Sites and dates fill up very quickly, so plan accordingly. Go to collegeboard.org or actstudent.org to sign up for the appropriate test. Our school’s CEEB code is 120-197.

Fee Waivers Available

Students on free or reduced lunch are available for SAT, ACT and NCAA Clearinghouse fee waivers. See Mrs. Yamamoto and pick up your fee waiver today.

Running Start

The Running Start program is a unique partnership between the DOE and the UH system. It allows public high school juniors and seniors to attend college classes while earning both high school and college credits. Come to C&CC for more information, or visit www.hawaii.edu/runningstart