The Cost of Paradise
Dannika Pila and Arie YamasakiFebruary 7, 2024
Left to right: Trumpets Rylan Akau-Morgan, Peyton Kahiapo and Skylar Hamasu stand in first position during the City of Lights Parade on Dec. 2.
Great Minds Think Alike: Collaborations Between Mililani Schools
Gianna Brown and Arie YamasakiFebruary 7, 2024
Senior Marcus Morifuji faces off against senior Ava Mayfield in a game of chess. The Tabletop Gaming Club
hosted its first chess tournament on Nov. 30, any student was welcome to participate.
Checkmate! Tabletop Gaming Club Hosts Chess Tournament
Marcus Morifuji, Sports Editor • February 6, 2024

Friends of Hawaii Robotics award Dailey, Galvizo Student of the Month Award

By Janelle Lau
Robotics
Seniors Glenn Galvizo Jr. (left) and Clayton Dailey (right) prepare for the Hawaii state championship on Dec. 21.

Hard work and dedication are the keys to success in a competition, as Seniors Glenn Galvizo Jr. and Clayton Dailey have proven by receiving the Student of the Month Award on Nov. 13.

“I enjoy the competitiveness of robotics, how you always have to constantly make yourself better in every aspect because if you don’t strive to be better, you’re going to fall behind,” said Dailey. Galvizo added, “I enjoy the atmosphere, just preparing for competitions, competition in general and just seeing your work progress throughout the years.”

The Student of the Month Award is organized by Friends of Hawaii Robotics, a nonprofit organization formed to support Hawaii’s robotics programs statewide. To be chosen, students must write to the organization regarding their opinion on why they deserve the award. “They select a few students across the state and weigh your overall contribution to robotics in Hawaii,” said Galvizo.

Being selected for the award, both Galvizo and Dailey were excited. “It felt good, I got to bring recognition to our team and our school,” said Dailey. Galvizo said, “I felt pretty ecstatic. In my eyes this is pretty big, like this is statewide.”

Robotics adviser Timothy Pregana watched Galvizo and Dailey grow over four years. “I’m proud of both (Galvizo) and (Dailey), they did real good and work real hard,” said Pregana.

As a result of being selected, both Galvizo and Dailey won prizes. “I got to go to KSSK (radio station), film a radio commercial and go on a Perry and Price show (on Nov. 23),” said Galvizo. Dailey added, “I got to be on the Friends of Hawaii Robotics web page and on the Honolulu Star Advertiser web page.”

This award showed students’ independence and skill. “Through hard work, dedication and the strive for greatness, we have become successful,” said Dailey.

Currently Galvizo and Dailey are preparing for the state championship. If they place first the team will qualify for the world championships.