The Cost of Paradise
Dannika Pila and Arie YamasakiFebruary 7, 2024
Left to right: Trumpets Rylan Akau-Morgan, Peyton Kahiapo and Skylar Hamasu stand in first position during the City of Lights Parade on Dec. 2.
Great Minds Think Alike: Collaborations Between Mililani Schools
Gianna Brown and Arie YamasakiFebruary 7, 2024
Senior Marcus Morifuji faces off against senior Ava Mayfield in a game of chess. The Tabletop Gaming Club
hosted its first chess tournament on Nov. 30, any student was welcome to participate.
Checkmate! Tabletop Gaming Club Hosts Chess Tournament
Marcus Morifuji, Sports Editor • February 6, 2024

Trojans transformed into warriors MHS JROTC cadets take third in Warrior Challenge

By Jesika Henson
JROTC
Photo courtesy of Lt. Col. Timothy Schiller (L-R): Second Lt. Sophomore Niomie Glory, Private First Class Senior Nicolas Gruce, Staff Sergeant Senior Owen Miyahara, Sergeant First Class Sophomore Joy Sanchez, Private First Class Freshman Emily Statzer and Second Lt. Sophomore Darius Usborne.

Competition is where limits are pushed and oftentimes exceeded. In an event such as the Warrior Challenge, where one must be physically and mentally fit, the cadets of the Mililani Junior Reserve Officers’ Training Corps (JROTC) exemplified teamwork and camaraderie. They placed third against 19 other schools.

“It goes back just to teamwork and knowing that if you work as a team that you can accomplish a lot more than an individual,” said JROTC adviser Lt. Col. Timothy Schiller, “If I was in their shoes and they accomplished what they did, that they accomplished more than they probably thought they could.”

The competition was held on Oct. 25 and 26. The challenge was divided into four categories, beginning with the Modified Physical Fitness Test. “What the cadets had to do as soon as they got there —they had to take a physical fitness test,” said Schiller, “The very first event was the push-up event, and (the cadets) had to do as many push-ups as they could in the first minute; same thing with the sit-ups, then they did chin-ups and dips and then they had to run one mile.” After a mile and a half march carrying their rucksacks, the cadets had arrived at the second area for the Medical Event. The cadets were faced with the object of assessing, treating and carrying a 175 lb. mannequin to safety.

Throughout the challenge the cadets surpassed multiple obstacles including those that they had not anticipated. “We didn’t really train for it, because they told us (it) could be any cadet (that went) to this so it wasn’t important that you had a team, so we just picked three boys, three girls,” said Schiller.

The Warrior Challenge was a learning experience for those who had participated. “Personally I learned that I can push myself farther than what I thought I could, like other times I push myself, but this was pushing yourself to the extreme,” said Platoon Leader Junior Rebecca Israel, “It was just kind of something I can look back on and be happy that I did.” Second Lt. Sophomore Darius Usborne added, “I think it was for cadets to push them to be better people and experience the reality of the military and how hard it can be and with hard work and with a good team they can do a lot.”

Feelings of accomplishment were also shared amongst advisers. “It just made me proud,” said Schiller, “When everyone else is going out for pizza on Friday night, these kids are out there competing and staying up late and waking up super early the next morning and doing all this competition.”

The Warrior Challenge was sponsored by the Sergeant Audie Murphy Association, whose members are a part of the 25th Infantry Division. The competition’s goal was to promote great ideas, sportsmanship, camaraderie, esprit de corps and participation of all cadets.