Serving it up, Gaza and Keamo titled co-MVPs of girls varsity volleyball

By Jacob Chang

On May 20, 2013, during an end of the year sports assembly, two volleyball players shared the spotlight. Alumna Casie Gaza and Senior Jordyn Keamo were both announced MVPs of the girls varsity team. As teammates and friends, Keamo and Gaza were more than happy to share the title.

“It was really an honor (to be chosen for co-MVP) because all of the girls last year were really, really talented and Jordyn was probably the best player that I’ve played with my whole high school career,” expressed Gaza.

With many outstanding players on the team, choosing one person as MVP was a tough decision. “Casie Gaza was a leader by talking and communicating,” said head coach Val Crabbe, “And Jordyn, she (has and is still) going to do the best that she can and she’s going to bring out the best in others.”

Though Gaza and Keamo occupied different positions and played different roles on the team, their passion for volleyball was something they both brought to the court. “They were just different people I think. Very, very passionate about the game of volleyball,” stated Crabbe.

After assessing how much effort each player put into practices as well as considering how well they played in games, Crabbe decided to select two MVPs. “I felt good because, well I was surprised that it was a (two person) thing because I thought it was just going to be one person,” said Keamo, “And I’m glad Casie was the other MVP.”

In addition to being named co-MVPs, Gaza and Keamo gained valuable experience while leading the girls team as co-captains over the course of the season. “We ended up with more than just a team but we ended up as sisters,” expressed Gaza, “I’ve learned a lot of life skills that go a lot farther than just the volleyball court. I think volleyball has taught us a lot about relationships and who we are and how to persevere through the obstacles in our lives.”

While Gaza now plays volleyball in college, Keamo still has another high school season ahead of her. Under Crabbe’s careful coaching, the varsity girls are hard at work preparing for the upcoming season. “They all work hard,” said Crabbe, “We got to really get the chemistry going. We have a very different team from last year.”

Yet for Keamo and Gaza, the game never ends as new goals are set. With high expectations for this year’s season, Keamo and Gaza still strive for excellence both on and off the court.