An array of greenery surrounds the statue, which is a center piece to Mililani High School’s campus. MHS continues to add and improve landscaping around campus.
New Plants Bloom Around Campus
Kayla Hovanian, Writer • April 10, 2024

Smarts and Crafts Compilation

[fivecol_three]

By Shan Yonamine

DIY floral arrangement and vase

Try this quick and simple flower arrangement if you want to add some extra life and color to your home this spring.

Preserving your precious petals

I’m not a flower person, but I recently received a bouquet of a dozen white roses and throwing them away after they died just seemed like such a waste. So instead of letting them wither, I decided to try my hand at drying them.

rosesmaller
There are plenty of methods to keep your flowers preserved, so see which one is best for you.

Now we’ve all heard of smashing petals between phone books and dictionaries, but I wanted to explore some other ways of preserving flowers, so I looked to the World Wide Web for inspiration and found three different methods, varying in effectiveness, to share with you.

The first was something a bit unconventional: the microwave method. Now I know sticking your precious petals in a high-wattage cooking machine may seen scary, but if done properly they’ll be dry in no time.

All you have to do is spread the petals out on a plate and microwave them on high for a minute and they should dry up in no time. If they’re still damp the first time you take them out, microwave them again for another minute. It’s important to not keep them in the microwave too long or they’ll burn.

The second method seemed to make a little more sense: sun-drying. All you have to do is lay the petals out in a place that is exposed to sun but not wind and they’ll dry up in a few days. I liked this method better than the microwave because it better preserved the rose’s color.

My final and favorite method is the hairspray method, which allows you to preserve a whole flower. Cut the flower at its stem and spray it thoroughly with any kind of hairspray that you have lying around. Then, hang the flower upside-down to dry for about a week on a clothesline or hanger. The entire bud will be preserved.

Rather than throwing away that prom corsage or wasting that wristlet, try drying them and pressing them in a scrapbook or putting them in a picture frame. There are tons of thing you can do with your newly preserved petals, so be creative and happy crafting!

[/fivecol_three] [fivecol_two_last]
[box]

Check out more of Shan Yonamine’s crafts on Tumblr >>>

Craft Inspiration

Lately, I’ve found myself in kind of a creative slum and I’ve had trouble finding inspiration for new projects… [more]

DIY Infinity Scarf

infinityscarf

Spring is here, so it’s out with the old, in with the new, and what better way to freshen up your wardrobe then to get rid of some of last seasons old, tired t-shirts? [more]

DIY Corsage

When it comes to prom, the biggest fuss tends to be over flowers. In fact, it’s such a big deal that people go out of their way ordering pricey custom arrangements up to weeks and months in advance. However, when it comes to flowers there is a sad truth that we all must face: they die. If you donít want to stress over something so short lived, follow these steps to make your date a custom corsage. [more]

Smarts and Crafts: Jewelry

smartsandcrafts

Jewelry featuring shells and sea glass have become all the rage lately, and they can be found anywhere from craft fairs to high-end boutiques. These simple pieces capture the essence of Hawaii by incorporating things found at local beaches and the good news is that they are not at all difficult to create on your own. [more]

Smarts and Crafts: Polymer Clay Charms

plymr stuff

Chances are you’ve all seen dainty little charms hanging from phone straps or dangling from craft fair displays. The size and intricacy of these petite creations intimidates most, causing people to buy them from the store. However, most of these tiny sculptures are made of easily created geometrical shapes, so why not add a personal touch by creating your own original charms? [more] [/box][/fivecol_two_last]