The Cost of Paradise
Dannika Pila and Arie YamasakiFebruary 7, 2024
Left to right: Trumpets Rylan Akau-Morgan, Peyton Kahiapo and Skylar Hamasu stand in first position during the City of Lights Parade on Dec. 2.
Great Minds Think Alike: Collaborations Between Mililani Schools
Gianna Brown and Arie YamasakiFebruary 7, 2024
Senior Marcus Morifuji faces off against senior Ava Mayfield in a game of chess. The Tabletop Gaming Club
hosted its first chess tournament on Nov. 30, any student was welcome to participate.
Checkmate! Tabletop Gaming Club Hosts Chess Tournament
Marcus Morifuji, Sports Editor • February 6, 2024

Lucky number 13: JV soccer claims another OIA title

By Reagan Paz
(Photo courtesy of Freshman Kaci Endo) The JV girls soccer team has won every OIA title since inception year in 2000.

This year it was lucky number 13 for the JV girls soccer team. On Jan. 11, they won their championship game against Pearl City High School, ending the game with a score of 4-0 and securing their 13th consecutive Oahu Interscholastic Association (OIA) title.

“I’m like a part of the 13. I’m a part of something bigger than just this year, like our team kept the streak going,” expressed Freshman Kasey Isobe. Freshman Tia Furuta added, “It gave me a sense of accomplishment and pride, for it only being my first year on the JV soccer team and being able to win the OIA championship.”

This year’s team dominated their opponents, remaining undefeated throughout the entire season with a record of 8-0. In addition to that, there were no goals scored against them throughout their regular season. “The second half of our regular season was filled with games against opponents we dominated, usually with us scoring in the double digits,” explained JV head coach Natalie Goo.

These successes were an outcome of not only their work ethic but also their ability to come together as a team. “They were all level-headed girls with great personalities,” said Goo, continuing, “A combination of dedication, hard work, and great team chemistry.” Isobe added, “The girls are really energetic and friendly, we all get along really well. It was good that we could bond really fast and it really helped and showed on the field.”

This year, there was a heavy impact by the new freshmen that joined the team. “(The freshmen) came in experienced and confident. In our championship game, nine of the 11 starters were freshmen. They pushed the sophomores for starting spots thus making our team that much better,” said Goo.

Their strategy on the field was also a big factor in their wins. “We started fast in the beginning, it was all because of a fast start and like, working the ball around. We played together really well connecting the passes,” Isobe explained. “We had to push each other harder, stay focused and determined during practices and games and have a mindset that we can overcome this obstacle,” Furuta added.

Despite minor setbacks due to injuries, both teams were able to stick it out to the end while managing to stay top seed all season. “We had a few injuries that kept a couple starters out of the lineup for a few weeks,” Goo explained, “Fortunately, we had a deep bench, which allowed us to play everyone without ever missing a beat.” Furuta added, “When we had to play the next game without them, it was difficult adjusting to not being able to work with them on the field.”

The added fact that their playing season interfered with the holiday season also presented irregular practices. “We kind of struggled coming back after Christmas and New Years and trying to play to our whole potential,” said Isobe, adding, “It was more mental; we just had to work hard and not give up and practice.”

The JV girls hope to continue the legacy they’ve set by winning their 14th OIA title next year, while they also prepare for their summer league season.