An array of greenery surrounds the statue, which is a center piece to Mililani High School’s campus. MHS continues to add and improve landscaping around campus.
New Plants Bloom Around Campus
Kayla Hovanian, Writer • April 10, 2024

Best in state: Keamo awarded one of eight coveted spots on state first division all-star volleyball team

By Kimberly Yamaguchi
Photo courtesy of Junior Jordyn Keamo

Junior Jourdyn Keamo grew up watching her parents play volleyball and began at Mililani Volleyball Club when she was only eight years old.  Her passion for the sport pushed her to countless hours of practices and earning a spot on the MHS varsity team, which paid off when she was given one of the eight spots on the divison one all-star team.

“She’s very dedicated, such a hard worker all the time.  And she’s the first one in the gym and always the last one to go.  She works really hard,” said teammate Senior Shaylin Sueda.

Thoughbeing chosen for the all-star team was an honor, Keamo didn’t let it get to her head. Teammate Senior Kelly Kuroda said, “She’s a really hard working player.  On the court she’s all business, but at the same time she’s still humble and she’s one of the nicest people you’ll ever meet.”

Not only does her consistent effort add to her success, but her positive attitude and skill.  “She probably puts in the most time out of everyone and she has natural ability so I think that’s what takes her really far,” said Kuroda.  Sueda added, “Just, like, her dedication, her leadership, it’s indirect and direct.  She’s so kind to everybody.  She gets along with everybody.  She’s a genuinely nice person.”

Keamo has continued to play not because of a drive for success, but a genuine love of the sport.  “I would have to say when I first step on the court and you or the other team is about to serve, all of my thoughts leave my mind and I feel like I can do anything,” she expressed.

With her strong skills and dedication Keamo aims to continue doing well in school so that she’ll one day be able to play college volleyball.