Win-win situation: VEX Robotics teams score final slots at regional tournament

By Kiana Caranto

On Sept. 29, the MHS VEX Robotics team participated in the Maui Fair VEX Robotics 2012 Regional Tournament held at Baldwin High School. All four of the MHS teams that participated advanced to the final round, which included two MHS teams competing against two other teams from MHS. Teams 1973A and 1973F ended up winning the competition, leaving the VEX Robotics team satisfied with the outcome of their friendly competition.

“When we won it was mixed feelings because in the end it was (MHS) versus (MHS),” said Junior Keane Hamamura of team 1973F, continuing, “We were happy that we won, but no matter what we knew that (MHS) would win.”

There were a total of 40 participating teams. The process included six qualifying matches to start off the competition. The top eight winners from the qualifying rounds proceeded to pick two other teams to make a three team alliance, the winners from the qualifying rounds becoming the captains of those teams. The tournament then continued on to the finals in the form of a competition ladder. The four MHS teams outperformed 36 other entries, all from other schools, which allowed them to advance to the finals.

Teams 1973A and 1973F managed to win the tournament, with teams 1973B and 1973C falling just a few points short from their teammates. “You’re happy for the winners, but sorry for the two teams that lost. But as a teacher and a coach, that’s the best outcome,” said VEX Robotics adviser Timothy Pregana.

Some participants have competed against one another before, so it was nothing entirely new. “I’ve done it before, and it just felt like a practice round,” said Senior Ryan Taketa of team 1973B, continuing, “I was honestly just happy that (MHS) was up against (MHS) in the end.”

Their complacency with the results from the competition made the commitment they put into it worthwhile. The students came in after school, on the weekends and over the summer to work on their robots. “We just put in hard work, a lot of time making sure my robot worked how I wanted it to,” explained Junior Clayton Dailey of team 1973A. The team also ended up pulling an all-nighter the night before the competition in order to prepare and make final adjustments to their robots.

Coming back home after winning the regional tournament was satisfying for the whole team, even if they had to go against each other to get to this point. “I am very happy with the overall outcome of the tournament. We really wanted to win this one, and we went in and we succeeded,” stated Dailey.

Teams from the MHS VEX Robotics program won the Maui Fair Regional Tournament last year as well, but went on to get eliminated in the first round at the world championship. “In my eyes it’s more validation for them,” explained Pregana, adding, “An opportunity to redeem themselves.” The team also strives to continue to improve. “I’m happy about the outcome, but I think we can still do better,” stated Hamamura.

Teams 1973A and 1973F have earned berths to the VEX Robotics World Championship and it is their hope that they will do better than the previous year.