The Cost of Paradise
Dannika Pila and Arie YamasakiFebruary 7, 2024
Left to right: Trumpets Rylan Akau-Morgan, Peyton Kahiapo and Skylar Hamasu stand in first position during the City of Lights Parade on Dec. 2.
Great Minds Think Alike: Collaborations Between Mililani Schools
Gianna Brown and Arie YamasakiFebruary 7, 2024
Senior Marcus Morifuji faces off against senior Ava Mayfield in a game of chess. The Tabletop Gaming Club
hosted its first chess tournament on Nov. 30, any student was welcome to participate.
Checkmate! Tabletop Gaming Club Hosts Chess Tournament
Marcus Morifuji, Sports Editor • February 6, 2024

College and Career Center: September 1, 2011

College and Career Center
Mrs. Denise Yamamoto

Welcome to a new school year! We look forward to working with a new senior class, and everyone else who wants information about their post high school plans. The College and Career Center (C&CC) is open to all students, parents and staff of Mililani High School. Services offered through C&CC include post-high school planning, processing of college applications, information on financial aid and scholarships, providing opportunities for computer services from Career Kokua, and coordination of college speakers, ASVAB and PSAT.

General Announcements:

Communication: Keep abreast of weekly information via the C&CC Bulletin. All teachers have a hard copy of this bulletin, and it can also be found on Edline. Available scholarships and upcoming speaker sessions are also published in the C&CC Bulletin.

Career assistance: Ms. Kato is available to help you with occupational/college searches, connect you to a military recruiter, and she will help you with scholarship information.

C&CC appointments: Mrs. Yamamoto is available to discuss your college options. It is difficult for her to see every student therefore, she encourages students to be proactive and come into the office to make an appointment. Everyone is welcome, regardless of grade level.

College speakers: All students are welcome to attend the speaker sessions. If interested, sign up on the bulletin board outside the C&CC office. Fill out the information on your student planner. On the day of the speaker, check into your class for attendance and have your teacher sign your planner. The teacher has the option of not allowing you to attend. C&CC will stamp your planner to verify that you attended the speaker session.

PSAT Testing: The PSAT will be administered here at MHS for students in grades 9 – 11, on Saturday, Oct. 15 beginning at 8:00 a.m. Registration will begin on Monday Aug. 29 through Friday, September 23. The cost is $5 for juniors and sophomores, and $20 for freshmen. Checks should be made payable to Mililani High School. Students must bring their ID and fee to C&CC before and after school, or during recess and lunch. Space is limited. Refunds will not be given, so plan accordingly.

Announcements for Seniors:

Senior English Class Visits: Mrs. Yamamoto will visit all senior English classes in August. Testing information, the college application process and the UH Systems Application will be presented. If you don’t have an English class or missed the presentation, stop by C&CC for information.

College Planning: Please make an appointment to see Mrs. Yamamoto if you have questions or need help, especially if you are applying to mainland colleges.

How to Apply to Colleges: Applications are available at most colleges’ websites. The college may have an “apply on-line” option or provide an application that can be downloaded and submitted in the traditional manner. Even if you do apply online, you need to submit some parts of your application in a paper form. For example, teacher and/or counselor recommendations, transcripts, and sometimes essays must be submitted by mail. Application fees may need to be sent by check if not paid through a credit card. SAT/ACT scores may need to be sent directly from the testing agency instead of on your transcript.

So paper or electronic, the choice is yours. Whichever way you go, complete your applications carefully, fully answer all questions asked, write and edit your essay, submit all documents requested, and meet all deadlines. Keep a copy of all applications sent and the dates they were submitted.

Testing for Seniors: Sign up immediately! Test dates/sites will close up due to the heavy volume of seniors testing in the fall. Don’t forget our CEEB Code, 120-197. Send your scores directly to your colleges. Keep in mind that MHS does not have the “score choice” option. If we send your test scores with your transcript, we will be sending ALL of your scores. If you are on free or reduced lunch, fee waivers are available for you. See Mrs. Yamamoto for more information.

Application deadlines – Except for those with earlier deadlines, most applications should be turned in to C&CC by December 1st. Keep track of your application deadlines! A few merit based scholarship deadlines are in October and many have November or December 1st deadlines.

All college applications and/or transcript requests should be turned in to C&CC. We will add your senior schedule and the MHS Profile to your application packet.

Financial Aid – Continue to check either Edline or the scholarship bulletin board for any scholarship announcements. Use FAFSA4caster to get an early estimate of your eligibility for federal student aid, and get an early start in the financial aid process. When you are ready to apply for financial aid, much of the information you enter in FAFSA4caster will populate the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). Go to www.fafsa4caster.ed.gov for more information. FAFSA will be available online starting January 1.

Important Upcoming Dates

More colleges are visiting MHS. Check the bulletin board outside of C&CC for information.

September 20 – UH West Oahu – Per. 2

September 27 – UH Manoa – Per. 1

October 19 – UH Hilo – Per 2

October 21 – HPU – Per. 3

November 4 – College/Career Fair @ NBC

December 1 – APPLICATIONS DUE!

January 1 – Financial Aid applications begin – fafsa.ed.gov

January 22 – College Goal Sunday