Raising Spirit: ASMHS Provides Activities for Quarantined Students

Jacob Nakasone, Online Editor

Since the State of Hawai‘i issued a mandatory quarantine to prevent the spread of COVID-19 (Coronavirus) in the isles, Hawai‘i’s youth have been unable to attend school and are instead under a distance learning model of education. As students continue distance learning from the comfort of their home, Associated Students of Mililani High School have brainstormed and created activities to not only help and maintain school pride and unity, but to also provide a sense of positivity and fun in this stressful time.

“Though we aren’t together physically, we are all in this together and want to keep up that trojan pride. Our situation is hard and it can be challenging to look at things optimistically, but we are still going strong,” said ASMHS President Sasha Nicole Arreola. “I hope that the students enjoy our activities and use them as a way to stay positive and have fun.”

Every school year, MHS hosts an annual talent show for students to showcase their abilities. However, with the ongoing quarantine, ASMHS decided to add a change to this year’s talent show by turning the show into an online video compilation. Using a google form sent to the students, those who signed up were able to film a video performance and sent it to ASMHS, who are putting together all the videos to post on Youtube, Instagram and the MHS website.

“This showcase is just an awesome way to bring up that positive energy. It’s also the perfect way to see talents that we probably wouldn’t have been able to see at school and on campus, which is really cool,” said Arreola. “We have numerous students participating with a variety of talents. ASMHS is excited to showcase our Trojan talent.”

On March 16, the Hawai‘i High School Athletic Association announced the indefinite suspension of all interscholastic sports competitions in response to the COVID-19 situation. As a result, many high school spring sports were not fully recognized by the school; several sports were not able to host a senior night to recognize the graduating senior class.

“We weren’t able to host our Spring Pep Rally, where we usually recognize our spring sports and we still wanted to showcase them,” said Arreola. “So throughout the month, we’re recognizing each of our Spring Sports and their players on Instagram — this includes a team photo, roster, senior highlights and coaches names.”

In addition to recognizing the athletic teams, the ASMHS student activities Instagram account (@mililani_hs_student_activities) is also being used to help promote different activities. 

“Every Trojan Pride Friday, we have a different little challenge for our students to do — so far we’ve done Bingo, Draw the Trojan Head Challenge, a Where’s the Trojan Man activity and an Easter themed search,” said Arreola. “Students should follow and participate because there’s much more planned for the upcoming weeks.”

Despite the difficult times students may find themselves in, ASMHS hopes that students may find positivity in their everyday lives. 

“Trojan Nation, you are so resilient. It’s amazing to see how students and staff stay connected with one another during these times apart. Thank you to everyone who has been participating in our activities so far,” said Arreola. “Check your emails and follow our Instagram to stay updated with all of our activities and participate. And remember whether in person or online, Trojan Pride all the time.”

In the near future, students can look forward to a virtual end-of-year Spirit Week from April 27 to May 1, with more details to be announced by ASMHS soon.