What Do We Truly Eat? Rita Madden Hosts Wellness Workshop in Mililani

Rhea Wojack, Reporter

     On Jan. 13, nutritionist and author Rita Maddenheld a wellness workshop discussing healthy eating and habits. Madden discussed harmful additives and preservatives commonly found in foods and their effects, explaining how to avoid them and eat healthy while maintaining enjoyment.

      “Really health can come at any size, so eating good quality foods and making sure they’re real as much as possible (for a good diet),’’ said Madden who has been a nutritionist for over 15 years. She presented a video which explained how marketers hire researchers and testers to find the most addicting flavors, then replicate it by manufacturing chemicals.These additives and preservatives are addictive, and one of the major factors harming the health of Americans.

      Madden discussed how these additives and preservatives were linked to health and behavioral issues. Cancer and blood disease are one of the many of the deadly risks of eating chemicals that are added to food. These synthetic flavorings are becoming one ofthe major threats to people’s health and should be watched out for carefully as they are not being identified by a majority of the population.

      Madden advised, to replace fake ingredients with natural foods closer to what “our ancestors ate,” making the end product healthier and having a closer flavor to the original.As an example of this method she used saimin, explaining that the powder in the flavor packets are made exclusively out of chemicals. However, by replacing the packets with natural chicken broth or flavoring, it would make the saimin healthier and cancel out the various health risks created by the additives and preservatives. By using this method onecan eat healthier without sacrificing flavor, an issue many people have with diets and dieting programs. 

      Madden also recommended to store foods in a natural way to avoid added salt or preservatives. She said to buy products without preservatives and store them in the freezer or refrigerator.

      “If you are eating the right foods, eating the right amounts, managing your stress and doing a joyful activity then your doing everything you can do for your health,” said Madden.She explained that a lot of health issues stem from snacking and eating too much sugar. A method she recommended to avoid munching on food is to find something that a person doesn’t particularly like. Whenever that person is hungry they decide if they are willing to eat the food or not.

      To keep up a healthy diet Madden recommended to eat 80 percent of the time healthy and use the other 20 percent for nutritious treats. She talked about enjoying food and not only being healthy. The goal of the workshop was to inform people about harmful things that the population should avoid when it comes to picking meals. Madden only skimmed the surface at this workshop and will be expanding on the things discussed during future programs.

      The next workshop will be held on Feb. 10 at the YMCA. For more information about the workshops visit www.moongardens.org