A Bright Future Ahead: JV Cross Country Team Win OIA Championship

Kosmo Wojack, Reporter

On Oct. 19, the Trojan JV cross country team competed against 22 other public schools in the Oahu Interscholastic Association (OIA) JV Championships meet held at Central Oahu Regional Park (CORP). Both the boys and girls teams performed well, with its runners individually placing highest and giving Mililani its first team win at the competition in years.

“Knowing that we had all tried our best and our work paid off was the best feeling in the world,” said Freshman Nathan Lopez.

JV championships was a leap forward for many of the runners. All of the runners had faster times then at Westerns. Lopez dropped nearly two and a half minutes off his time, going from a 21:11.37 at OIA Westerns to a 18:44.70, which subsequently won him the JV title. “He (Nathan) showed up that was his best race all season,” said Sophomore Myles Partin. Freshman Ellie Ikemura added, “We’re all friends with each other and we all get along, and encourage each other to do the best we can.”

Although they couldn’t compete themselves, the varsity team was also present at the meet. They were scattered across the course with signs to cheer on their teammates. “It really motivated us knowing that they wanted us to do our best and that they’re there for us no matter what the outcome was, so it was one of our other driving factors to do our best for the team who had come out to support us,” said Lopez. Partin added, “They all came and made signs and gave us leis after. It was good.”

For cross country runners, strategy is key to a successful race. A part of this strategy is putting the right foods into their bodies the night before. In this case, the JV team had a potluck with pasta to carbo load.“(I try to) make sure the night before I don’t do anything that’s gonna mess up my race, like eating a lot of junk food, and hydrating before the race because it gets really hot at CORP,” said Ikemura.

While the JV cross country team’s season is over, the runners have more races ahead of them. Many will continue running in track and field, which starts in the spring season.