MHS Fourth Year of Quarterly MiQ Luncheons

Chanelle Camero, Online Editor

MHS’ MiQ quarterly luncheon took place on Sept. 20 marking the fourth year of these quarterly meetings. Every quarter, students, staff, MHS partners around the community gather to discuss the different highlights of MHS and the community. Culinary students prepared and served a full course meal throughout the meeting. The discussion was centralized around Mari’s Garden located in Mililani and its partnership with farm to school ‘Aina Pono program at MHS.                                          

After Principal Fred Murphy’s welcoming speech and introductions, culinary students Seniors Kobie Davis, Gavin Lee and Alexis Mayeda presented the menu. Following this was Legislative News. Guest speakers included Senator Michelle Kidani, David Cho, Representatives Lauren Cheape Matsumoto and Beth Fukumoto. Kidani discussed her upcoming trip to Japan and had her Sept. Neighborhood Board Report distributed to guests. Cho discussed the Mililani Middle School’s plans to change to a single track schedule. Matsumoto advertised her office’s internship program offered to high school and college students who are interested in becoming involved at the Hawai’i State Legislature. Fukumoto discussed the Hawai’i State Capitol tour that will be held on Oct. 10 from 10 to 12p.m.

Following Legislative News was Ryan Domingo and Kamie Miyaji talking about the Blood Bank of Hawai’i and presenting the dates for the next blood drives. The next blood drives will be on Nov. 1, Feb. 4 and April 16. Brenden Lau and Chad Nishikuni played a video informing the audience about Mari’s Garden and it’s founding and their partnership with Mililani and ‘Aina Pono. Next was Braden Sakai discussing the Mililani Disaster Preparedness Team (MDPT) and their founding and what they do to ensure the preparedness of Mililani in the event of a natural disaster. A MDPT introductory meeting will be held on Oct. 16 at Rec 2 from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. Rev. David Fujimoto discussed Mililani Hongwanji and e-waste recycling. The next e-waste drop off event will be on Dec. 8 from 9 to 1p.m at 95-257 Kaloapau St.

Marisa Masuda presented upcoming events at the Mililani Shopping Center. “It’s a Monster Mash Bash!” a Halloween event featuring a costume contest, games and trick-or-treating will take place on Oct. 31 from 5 to 7p.m. “Friday Backyard Nights Events,” a social with food and music will take place on Nov. 16. The annual Mililani Holiday Parade will take place on Dec. 1 from 9 to 12p.m. Principal Officer Karen Ebato discussed MHS PTSO.

Mililani Times’ director of sales Senior Aidyn Aradanas discussed ad space in order to raise enough funds for a community issue distribution. ASMHS president Senior Arianna Nonies-Ramos was unable to attend so ASMHS Hawai’i state student council representative Senior Elizabeth Yoon filled in for her with upcoming events. She discussed Hawai’i Moji Blitz which took place from Sept. 29 to Oct. 3. MHS ABC Craft Fair and Trojan Bandfest will take place on Nov. 17. The Mililani Public Library will be celebrating their 30th anniversary on Oct. 20 from 1 to 3 p.m.