An array of greenery surrounds the statue, which is a center piece to Mililani High School’s campus. MHS continues to add and improve landscaping around campus.
New Plants Bloom Around Campus
Kayla Hovanian, Writer • April 10, 2024

An Act of Kindness: JV Softball Team Honors Mrs. Murphy

By Maiya Ezawa
(Photo courtesy of Fred Murphy) The pink roses, which sit in a vase on the Murphy’s kitchen table, serve as an inspiration to both Sherri-Lynn Murphy and her sons.

On Oct. 29, the JV Girls Softball team presented Principal Fred Murphy with pink roses in honor of his wife’s battle with breast cancer during one of their potlucks. Surprising him with a bouquet and a card, these Lady Trojans chose to show their gratitude and respect for the strength that Murphy and his family have shown throughout this period of change.

“It is very encouraging to know that I have so much support and well wishes from so many people, even people I don’t really know. There seems to be so many people who have been touched by some kind of cancer somehow, whether it’s themselves or someone they know,” expressed wife of Fred Murphy, Sherri-Lynn Murphy.

Drawing from social media sites, like Twitter, the team wanted to thank Fred Murphy in a creative way for his support at their games and tournaments and wish him and his family well. “We wanted to give him a gesture (for) his wife and his family to brighten their day, to show that we’re here for him too. (My team) was on Twitter and we saw how the football boys gave orange flowers to (a) leukemia patient, so we wanted to give her pink flowers for breast cancer,” explained primary hitter Sophomore Kaitlin Carlos.

Having invited him to the potluck under the guise of supporting the team, Fred Murphy was rendered speechless when they surprised him. “I stumbled over my words, I didn’t know what to say. I was really, just full of gratitude. So I tried to tell the girls how significant it was, I tried to express my thanks and on behalf of my wife as well, that she would really appreciate these flowers. But I thought about it so many more times, I didn’t tell them enough,” stated Fred Murphy.

Through her struggle, Sherri-Lynn Murphy has always tried to stay positive and optimistic, choosing to look on the bright side of things. “Health is so important. It puts everything else into perspective. Now, so many things that used to bother me seem so minor. Basically, I’m learning to ‘let it go.’ Plus, I keep reminding myself that we are so fortunate to live in a wonderful place with great medical services and so many helpful resources. This Thanksgiving especially, I am celebrating the good health of not only myself, but everyone around me,” stated Sherri-Lynn Murphy.

Sherri-Lynn Murphy’s prognosis is hopeful and the Murphy’s want to express their gratitude to the JV Girls Softball team. “Thank you seems so simple. My wife makes many sacrifices (to support) me so I can do what I do as a principal, and I’m just so thankful that these girls and this school show their appreciation for her situation and their support and their love, so thank you,” expressed Fred Murphy. “Thank you so very much for your thoughtfulness, kindness and support, and always remember what’s truly important in this world; don’t take anything for granted, especially your health,” added Sherri-Lynn Murphy.

The team also wished to express their appreciation for Fred Murphy’s dedication to the school and its students. “I thought it was a beautiful gesture for him to shave off his hair because I thought that was a cute moment, like I’m going to be here with you every step of the way and I feel what you’re going through right now. Thank you for everything you’ve done. I know I haven’t met (Fred and Sherri-Lynn Murphy) personally but (the JV girls) are really appreciative and I can’t repay them for any of that,” stated Carlos.

Sherri-Lynn Murphy recently finished chemotherapy and is doing well. She is looking forward to going back to work and has taken her situation in stride.