College and Career Center: December 15, 2016

master

SENIOR ANNOUNCEMENTS

Need a Letter of Recommendation (LOR)? Please ASK.

Reminder—You need to ASK the person if he or she is willing to write a letter for you, then provide them with whatever materials they need. Be mindful of deadlines and remember that the person is doing you a favor. So don’t forget to thank your recommenders.

Application Deadlines

If you have not done so already, submit your applications and/or transcript requests. Stop procrastinating. If applying online, you still need to turn in a transcript request to the C&CC so we can add your list of senior courses and attach our school’s profile. Let us know if there are any questions.

Last Financial Aid Help Night is Jan. 12

If you or your parents need assistance with filling out your FAFSA, please sign up to attend our last help session. Session will begin at 6 p.m. in the H-Building computer lab. Sign up on the C&CC page of the MHS website.

UH Community College

Application

The community colleges are a smart choice for starting a four-year degree. With an Associate of Arts (AA) degree from a community college, you can transfer with your “core” general education requirements fulfilled at substantial savings. The community colleges provide quality education, more personalized attention and lots of opportunities. The popular programs fill up quickly, so complete the online application as soon as possible. To apply, go to www.apply.hawaii.edu.

Want Scholarships?

Scholarships Posted on C&CC Webpage

Check the C&CC webpage or our bulletin board for the latest scholarship listing. Any scholarship money that you receive means less money out of your pocket. Follow the instructions and watch your deadlines.

Scholarship Award Letters

If you receive a scholarship or financial award from a school or organization, forward a copy of the award letter to our office, whether you accept it or not. We will use it for our report and you will be recognized in the graduation program.

Selective Service:

All Males 18 Years of Age Must Register

In order to qualify for federal student loans and grants, job training and employment, males 18 years of age must register with Selective Service. Go to sss.gov for more information.

OTHER  ANNOUNCEMENTS

Thank you to everyone who helped with the Wednesday administration of our PSAT on Oct. 19. We tested 505 students. Online scores will be available on Dec. 12. Go to https://studentscores.collegeboard.org/home.

Paper score reports will be available in early 2017.

College Planning Night 

Wednesday, Jan. 25 at 6 p.m. In the Cafeteria

Free, informative presentation suitable for students in grades nine to 11 and their families. Sessions include high school preparation, choosing a college, financial aid and more. Each family who attends will receive a free workbook.

Junior Parent Night

Feb. 22 at 6 p.m. In the Cafeteria

We will be having a Junior Parent Informational Night on Wednesday, Feb. 22 at 6 p.m. in the Cafeteria. Information on upcoming events, ACT testing, college planning and more will be shared. Parents and students are welcome to attend.

ACT/ASPIRE TEST DAY

Tuesday, Feb. 28

Mark this date on your calendar. We will be administering these tests to ALL ninth to 11th graders on Tuesday, Feb. 28. More information will be forthcoming.

Registration Information

Registration for next school year’s classes will begin in January. Utilize the resources that we have available at MHS by taking interesting or challenging courses. Some colleges require a visual/performing arts class, while others recommend three years of a foreign language. UH-Manoa requires 17 college-prep classes (core classes and world languages). Colleges like to see a rigorous course schedule, so check the website of prospective colleges and plan your schedule.

Juniors

Juniors should start getting ready for senior year. Update your resume, take at least one SAT or ACT test during second semester, make an appointment with your counselor, request for letters of recommendation (if applicable) and research your schools. Make an appointment with the C&CC if you need help with your college search or if you have any questions.

Fee Waivers Available

Students on free or reduced lunch are available for SAT, ACT, NAIA and NCAA Clearinghouse fee waivers. See the C&CC, and pick up your fee waiver today.

Running Start

The Running Start program is a unique partnership between the DOE and the UH system. It allows public high school juniors and seniors to attend college classes while earning both high school and college credits. Completed forms must be turned in to the C&CC by the following dates:

Fall Semester:

April 15

(Deadline to LCC: May 1)

Come to C&CC for more information, or visit https://www.hawaii.edu/dualcredit/

**Important Dates***

Jan. 12

FAFSA Help Night

6 p.m. in the Computer Lab

Jan. 25

College Planning Night

6 p.m. in the Cafeteria

Feb. 22

Junior Parent Night

6 p.m. in the Cafeteria

Feb. 28 

ACT/ASPIRE Day

No school for seniors

March 8

ASVAB held at MHS

1:15 p.m.

The C&CC will be closed during Winter Break.

Compiled by College and Career Center Counselor Denise Yamamoto